BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for the best replacement tan convertible top for my bmw z3 roadster without breaking the bank too much

any names to look out for

ive heard robins tops are good but is there anything else?

·
Registered
89 Posts
i am looking for the best replacement tan convertible top for my bmw z3 roadster without breaking the bank too much

any names to look out for

ive heard robins tops are good but is there anything else?
I too am searching for an aftermarket tan top. I'm considering Robins and Auto Tops Direct. Still in the process of trying to convince myself I can install it.

·
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
414 Posts
I had a professional auto custom shop install a Gahh light tan top and the canvas is as good or better than the original BMW top. The only problem with after market tops is that the don't have the replaceable rear window. But for the price of the top and installation (appr. $1300) doesn't even compare to the price of BMW's top let alone the installation cost by BMW. And I figure about the time the rear window goes bad, it is close to the time the top requires replacing. So I figure I can replace the top several times before it equals the price of BMW's top and installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i installed the top from auto tops direct
it went really good using the installation guide posted on this forum as well as the one supplied by the company. i was able to get the top done in a weekend with just me and my dad, all you need is basic hand tools and some fancy socket adapters,wobble joints and such to get to the hard to reach bolts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, sorry to bump such an old thread but I'm looking at the top from Auto tops direct and I really like it but my top is a lighter tan color and the only option that's even close is dark beige. Is that the same color? I want to order it but I want to be sure it's the exact same color. http://www.autotopsdirect.com/1996-2002-BMW-Z3-E37-Convertible-Tops-p/10-04-e37-006.htm
I am having the same issue. The top offered by GAHH is called sandlewood and looks really dark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it worth getting a new top, mine is in questionable condition, bought the car last week for $500 and the top looked good except for the back plastic has been torn out,should i replace the entire top or is their a replacement insert for the back window
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
500 Posts
Syriusxp, yes, there are replacement windows. Many threads here, and videos on youtube that'll walk you thru it.
It zippers in, not sure if this is true for all MYs though.
And depending on the state of your zipper and seams, a whole new top may or may not be the better option.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Syriusxp, yes, there are replacement windows. Many threads here, and videos on youtube that'll walk you thru it.
It zippers in, not sure if this is true for all MYs though.
And depending on the state of your zipper and seams, a whole new top may or may not be the better option.
Most replacement tops do not have a zipper window.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts