BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have the original tires that came with the car, the Bridgestone Turanza ER30's. I have been very happy with them so far, they seem to provide just the right amount of stiffness and performance without being overly harsh.

However, they seem expensive (something like $208 per tire :eeps: ).

I am looking for a summer only tire that will perform better (or comparably) to the ER30's.

Does the Michigan Pilot Sport 2 fit the bill? (It seems to get good reviews on Tirerack.com)
Any others I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
tagheuer said:
However, they seem expensive (something like $208 per tire :eeps: ).

Does the Michigan Pilot Sport 2 fit the bill?
The PS2 is a great tire, but it's a little pricey… no, it's A LOT pricey (my 255/35/18s were $270 a piece). If price is a concern I'd recommend the Kumho MX or the BF Goodrich KDW2.

·
Sikkens Autocryl MM
2,808 Posts
If you liked the ER30's, you probably won't like the KDW2's -- they might be a little too loud and stiff for you. You have to realize Andy can be a bit hard core, so those issues are of little consequence to him ;)

If I still had my 325, I'd give these a shot (Michelin Exalto PE2), just because no one else has tried them :eeps: and TireRack testing (not those dumb surveys) gave it pretty good ratings. (linky)

Interesting, I just realized the tire looks very similar to the PS2's. Speaking of which, PS2's are on special right now at TireRack ($169 each) so you might consider those, as Andy suggested. I think the original Pilots are also very good street tires.

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
I am running kumho MX's and i like them. Kind of wore out fast though, 15-20k miles but that includes some auto-x and track time. I am about to replace them with Toyo T1-S. PS2 look nice and I dont think they are that expensive in your size, 225/45r17, should be $170ish I think. I probably sound like a broken record but avoid Yoko ES100s :thumbdwn: only good thing about them is they seem to last long.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Jeff_DML said:
I am running kumho MX's and i like them. Kind of wore out fast though, 15-20k miles but that includes some auto-x and track time. I am about to replace them with Toyo T1-S. PS2 look nice and I dont think they are that expensive in your size, 225/45r17, should be $170ish I think. I probably sound like a broken record but avoid Yoko ES100s :thumbdwn: only good thing about them is they seem to last long.
I just recently got ES100s to replace my stock Michelin HX MXMs. The ES100s tramline like crazy :thumbdwn: . They are also supposed to be kinda noisy... Right now they aren't, but I'm told that they'll get noisier as they wear.

BTW, I wen't with the the ES100s over the Kumho MX because I wanted to try something with a stiffer sidewall than I'd normally been using before.

Too bad the PS2s weren't on sale (and available immediately) back when I was looking for new tires.

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
operknockity said:
I just recently got ES100s to replace my stock Michelin HX MXMs. The ES100s tramline like crazy :thumbdwn: . They are also supposed to be kinda noisy... Right now they aren't, but I'm told that they'll get noisier as they wear.

BTW, I wen't with the the ES100s over the Kumho MX because I wanted to try something with a stiffer sidewall than I'd normally been using before.

Too bad the PS2s weren't on sale (and available immediately) back when I was looking for new tires.
yeah mine tramline like crazy too. they are very noisy, nice hum noise in the wagon from them :( . Initially they might of not been noisy, I think after a 2 days at sears point they became noisy :cry:

yeah mx have soft sidewalls, need to pump them up :D at least they are light though

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas, I think i'll try either the Pilots or Pilot Sport 2s...I've had great luck with Michelins on my hondas.

·
Jayhawk
527 Posts
tagheuer said:
Thanks for the replies fellas, I think i'll try either the Pilots or Pilot Sport 2s...I've had great luck with Michelins on my hondas.
If you are down to Pilots Sports and PS2's definately go with the PS2's. I just replaced my rear Pilot Sports and asked Tire Rack why the PS is still being sold when the PS2 is so much better. The response was that they continue to sell them because many people (like me) only need two and do not want to mis-match and secondly because many people just replace tires with what came on the car. His opinion as is mine is that the PS2 is a far superior tire.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is also a very good tire.

We are running PS2's on our One Lap of America car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts