BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Best Sways?

• Stock - You suck with what you got, get some skills, then ask.

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • UUC Swaybarbarians

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • Racing Dynamics

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • H&R

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Dinan

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Sachs

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Always upgrade vertically in a series, i.e. you have a 330, go M3

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other - Jane, you ignorant ****. You forgot...

Votes: 9 17.3%
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, no flaming since this has not been asked before.

What are the best aftermarket sways for the E46 and why?

Those with experience with more than one manufacturer and subsequent prefrences please let your voices be heard.

Those with strong opinions for makers not in the poll, say the manufacturer and why.

I think perhaps that bimmerfest should evolve to include comparisons from the moderators and others on their rides of different products and dyno/track results. Perhaps the sponsors can contribute or help facilitate challenge days where the competition meets head on in a pure numbers battle of who's best, worst and inbetween.

Let the voting begin.

· •••••••
24,020 Posts
I love the feel of my UUCs, but the endlinks get noisy after awhile... really noisy.

I'm about to call Rob for another set of them. Sucks, but I think they need to be considered a "wear part."

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plaz said:
I love the feel of my UUCs, but the endlinks get noisy after awhile... really noisy.

I'm about to call Rob for another set of them. Sucks, but I think they need to be considered a "wear part."
:thumbup:

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else? Come on guys, I know there's more of y'all with aftermarket sways and way more with opinions. :D

Let it flow.

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shizat63 said:
I'm in the same boat, looking to get new bars. I'd like to flatten out the ride and change the balance to a mild oversteer.

subscribing
Cool... just wished the people who are voting would chime their 2cents in on why they chose the sways they did and their impressions.

Hopefully this will be an informative thread for all... though it may take a few 'bumps' here and there. :)

10,983 Posts
I've got GC, but wouldn't recommend them to normal people.

Eibach, RD, or H&R/Turner would probably make the most sense.

· Registered
19,647 Posts
i never upgraded my sway bars, because it seems like a less than ideal way to adjust your handling. Changing shocks and springs, M3 control arm bushings, X-brace - these things made the car neutral, without sacrificing any rear suspension flexibility.

On your car I'd think non-staggered tires would be the way I'd go, although it might be expensive.

10,983 Posts
wheel-man said:
Just curious why you wouldn't recommend GC sways?
Infinitely adjustable, and incredibly fiddly. They also aren't galvanized, so they need to come off for winter.

And because most people aren't really up to operating the three wrenches that you have to use simultaneously when you put the endlinks on.

Edit: They are the BEST, but that's only within certain parameters.

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dawg90 said:
i never upgraded my sway bars, because it seems like a less than ideal way to adjust your handling. Changing shocks and springs, M3 control arm bushings, X-brace - these things made the car neutral, without sacrificing any rear suspension flexibility.

On your car I'd think non-staggered tires would be the way I'd go, although it might be expensive.
So what are the negatives of decreasing rear supsension flexibility with respect to the cars handling? Would it cause more of the inertial changes of acceleration/braking and turning to be carried by the front?

And why the thoughts on a non-staggered F/R wheel setup? Again, does this have to do with making the car to behave less as if the R is inflexible and slower to change directions than the F?

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Infinitely adjustable, and incredibly fiddly. They also aren't galvanized, so they need to come off for winter.

And because most people aren't really up to operating the three wrenches that you have to use simultaneously when you put the endlinks on.
Got ya... that's what we need, more brutal honesty. :thumbup:

Being a noob to wrenching with bimmers, is it easy/hard to replace sways?

10,983 Posts
wheel-man said:
So what are the negatives of decreasing rear supsension flexibility with respect to the cars handling? Would it cause more of the inertial changes of acceleration/braking and turning to be carried by the front?

And why the thoughts on a non-staggered F/R wheel setup? Again, does this have to do with making the car to behave less as if the R is inflexible and slower to change directions than the F?
The negatives are an increased tendency towards oversteer, and a reduction in your ability to get power down.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I've experimented on the track all the way from NO rear sway bar, to LOTS of rear sway, and I'm inclined to say that more rear sway than stock is better overall.

10,983 Posts
wheel-man said:
Got ya... that's what we need, more brutal honesty. :thumbup:

Being a noob to wrenching with bimmers, is it easy/hard to replace sways?
It's easy on anything that doesn't have a stupidly oversized muffler designed purely for bling factor. The rear sway on an E46 M3 is a pain in the ass (especially the stock one), but it's quite easy on a normal E46.

· Rest in peace, Coach
9,614 Posts
Plaz said:

Gen 2 UUC Swaybarbarian is out with greasable, adjustible end links. :thumbup:

If you'd like, I can see what sort of discount I can get you for a "return customer" and see about getting rid of your old sways. You know how to contact me.

· •••••••
24,020 Posts
The HACK said:
Gen 2 UUC Swaybarbarian is out with greasable, adjustible end links. :thumbup:

If you'd like, I can see what sort of discount I can get you for a "return customer" and see about getting rid of your old sways. You know how to contact me.
Interesting... have any SCTS fellas installed them yet? Any feedback from anyone?

I know Raffi bailed on his old ones...

· Rest in peace, Coach
9,614 Posts
Plaz said:
Interesting... have any SCTS fellas installed them yet? Any feedback from anyone?

I know Raffi bailed on his old ones...
:dunno: He just started shipping them. It's $70 retail, which isn't exactly fair to existing customers but hey, he's gotta recoup his cost.

· •••••••
24,020 Posts
The HACK said:
:dunno: He just started shipping them. It's $70 retail, which isn't exactly fair to existing customers but hey, he's gotta recoup his cost.
$70? That's for the endlinks? They're available separately from the new sways, and they're compatible?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.