BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Porleau
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed people getting great deals on the recently discontinued 7 series last year and now the 5 series this year. This includes high residuals and other incentives to move these models during their final year - especially at the very end of the model year. I may be in a position next spring/summer to be leasing two new BMWs simultaneously; likely another 3 series (340xi) and an SUV (e.g. X1 or X3). I know MY17 is the final one for the current X3 platform, so expecting some nice deals next spring/summer. I'm trying to figure out the best time to make a move to lease one. Will have some flexibility in options & colors so hoping to find one on the lot and take advantage of the dealer's desire to 'move metal', but would also like to pick a month with best residuals & incentives. Based on what I have seen this year, I'm looking at one of the following approaches:

1) Custom Order: Lock order in late May/early June for target delivery in July. Pick the better lease numbers.
2) Dealer Inventory: Target July to locate an in-stock vehicle and gamble on July number.

Does this make sense? I'd love to get some ideas/insights on this game plan and timing. I feel like this might be a great opportunity to grab a MY17 X3 and possibly F30 cheap and with great lease rates next year and don't want to screw it up.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've noticed people getting great deals on the recently discontinued 7 series last year and now the 5 series this year. This includes high residuals and other incentives to move these models during their final year - especially at the very end of the model year. I may be in a position next spring/summer to be leasing two new BMWs simultaneously; likely another 3 series (340xi) and an SUV (e.g. X1 or X3). I know MY17 is the final one for the current X3 platform, so expecting some nice deals next spring/summer. I'm trying to figure out the best time to make a move to lease one. Will have some flexibility in options & colors so hoping to find one on the lot and take advantage of the dealer's desire to 'move metal', but would also like to pick a month with best residuals & incentives. Based on what I have seen this year, I'm looking at one of the following approaches:

1) Custom Order: Lock order in late May/early June for target delivery in July. Pick the better lease numbers.
2) Dealer Inventory: Target July to locate an in-stock vehicle and gamble on July number.

Does this make sense? I'd love to get some ideas/insights on this game plan and timing. I feel like this might be a great opportunity to grab a MY17 X3 and possibly F30 cheap and with great lease rates next year and don't want to screw it up.
It all depends on production dates. So even though 2017 is the last year, do they end production in October? Then the best deals will probably be after October when they are getting rid of the last few. On the other hand, they may have been able to forecast sales better and wont have a ton of leftover inventory, so no great deal to be had.

Trying to forecast what BMW will do is hard. In the past, Spring was a great time for deals - I dont know why but it seemed every spring there was a firesale of select BMWs. Then, November and December became really hot as they tried to win the #1 sales spot. Based on what I have seen this year, June and July seem the strongest for outgoing model year like the 5er.

As much as I would like to plan ahead, the only close to "sure thing" time for good deals and incentives is the end of year holiday period. Anything else is a crapshoot IMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts