BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. First time poster. Would love to get some of your input about my questions.

I will be purchasing a 335i coupe, built to order, sometime this year. Fully loaded with just about everything except adaptive cruise, L7, and satellite radio. I already have my down payment set aside and am just waiting for a great time to purchase. And yes, this is obviously KILLING me because I just want this frickin car now, but I've waited a while already, so I might as well just wait a few months more if I can get a better deal.

So my questions are as follow:

1.) Any anticipated changed/updates with the MY2010? Anything huge that I really should wait for? If so, when do they usually start building these? I hear Aug build dates are usually for the following year? So, if I go to my dealer and put down my deposit and put in my order around July I should be able to get a MY2010 with delivery sometime in Sep? Also, I hear that prices usually go up ~1-2K every year?

2.) What time of the year does BMW financing have their best rates? I know right now it is 2.9%. Any hope of getting the practically "free money" 0.9% rate with first 2 payments free on the 335i coupe in the future? I figure with the economy the way it is, and BMW hurting, they have to offer better and better rates. I would guess that Dec is when they have good rates but again, the wait is killing me. But if I have to, then maybe I put my order in ~Sep/Oct, wait it out, and then pick up in Dec and get whatever is the best rate they have at the end of the year.

So any suggestions/comments/advice would be appreciated. As you can tell, I do not need this car, well...on second thought, maybe I do need it :D. I'm just willing to wait it out if I can get even more car for the money.

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
1.) Any anticipated changed/updates with the MY2010? Anything huge that I really should wait for? If so, when do they usually start building these? I hear Aug build dates are usually for the following year? So, if I go to my dealer and put down my deposit and put in my order around July I should be able to get a MY2010 with delivery sometime in Sep? Also, I hear that prices usually go up ~1-2K every year? .
Right now there are just rumors. Nobody knows for sure. Unless you need a car right now, you might to wait till July/August to see if anything transpires. The going rumor is that BMW will have Dual Clutch tranny in the Coupe. Right now, if you interested, they have available the M-Sport Package which is all the good looking bits appearance wise that was only available in the UK in the past. Otherwise, it is too early to know what we will see this fall. There may be some who may know, but no official announcments that I have read about. The other bouncing rumor is an SS version of the 1er and 3er -- but nothing solid.

2.) What time of the year does BMW financing have their best rates? I know right now it is 2.9%. Any hope of getting the practically "free money" 0.9% rate with first 2 payments free on the 335i coupe in the future? I figure with the economy the way it is, and BMW hurting, they have to offer better and better rates. I would guess that Dec is when they have good rates but again, the wait is killing me. But if I have to, then maybe I put my order in ~Sep/Oct, wait it out, and then pick up in Dec and get whatever is the best rate they have at the end of the year..
Well, if you wait, and your don't care for anything that you will see in 2010, then you can get a better deal on a late 09 when the 2010 car changes are announced. Otherwise -- uhm no!

Your only other better deals are either going with European Delivery or purchasing a used 335i Coupe that is coming off lease

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
Buy it when the bear market rally ends next month and everyone resumes full scale panic.

·
Officially a BMW Homer.
1,037 Posts
Buying a 09 late this year when the 10s are available will be your best bet for savings like pedal said. Then again I'm pretty sure you can get a car now for $500 over invoice or so. If there is no drastic changes coming up for
2010 models, I say get it now and enjoy the summer with your new car!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Tough to get the sweet deals on a 335.

335 is very susceptible to the supply-demand because bmw does not have to sell a boat load of 335's to make a profit and keep their business going.

in other words, they can just cut production of 335 all the way to zero, theoretically, and keep the price in sync with supply. same goes for the other exotic models like the M's and the 6's.

in this economy, i would cut supply and keep prices the same (or almost the same) on all models except the 328 and maybe the 528. then, offer deep discounts/cheap financing to get the entry-level buyers to gobble those two models up for brand awareness and to steal as many customers from Detroit's Big-3, albeit at a cost of a lower profit margin. More and more tax-payers are very upset at the Big-3, so now is the time to steal customers from them!

by the way, the 328 and the 528 are the 2 models i see increasingly more and more on the streets these days.

the people that really want the more exotic models, they will be willing to pay the extra dough :)

to answer your question, the best time to get a 335 is probably end of year when the newer models arrive and dealers will do almost anything to get rid of the previous year models.

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
All this is logical. But I wouldn't wait any longer. You're just delaying a great ride which you could still enjoy this summer.

Don't forget either that this year, and probably only this year, you can deduct your sales tax on a new car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it.

Few thoughts after reading everyone's responses:

1.) I'm hesitant to wait all the way to the end of the year because I am planning on a built to order car; I am pretty set on what I want. I am not sure I would be too happy with one of the cars that the dealer is desperate to try to move, the chances are more likely that it wouldn't be my perfect car. While obtaining the lowest possible purchase rate is obviously ideal, I am more interested in the getting the best finance rate. If BMW comes out with 0.9% with 2 months free next month then I am for sure going to put my order in.

2.) Anything else about MY2010 that people might have heard about? If it is just dual-clutch and SS edition, then I'll pass (thanks Pedal). Getting a 6MT, and I might as well splurge for the M3 instead of the SS.

3.) If I decide on a MY2009, when is the latest date for me to put my order in? June/July maybe? Ideally, I put in my order around then, get the car in ~Sept, and hopefully sometime during the build process BMW Financing has their summer blowout rates for 2009s and I secure it. Sound like a realistic plan?

4.) I was dumbfounded with all of this "enjoy your car while it is still summer" comments. Hmmm...is everyone still in school? Then I realized that Gino and ProfessorCook here aren't from my neck of the woods. Yes, it is about midnight here in San Diego, and I must say it is a tad chilly outside, high 50s ya know. For us Californians, this is our winter coat weather. Sorry, but couldn't resist saying something. I did live in D.C. for grad school and all I have to say is that it is great being back in SoCal, where 3/4 of the population have no idea what a winter tire is.

Thanks again guys. Please continue with the comments/suggestions. I appreciate them all.

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Ah but then you've missed out on the white knuckle rides at midnight in a nor'easter snow storm when you have to get home, there are spinouts every mile, gigantic blades on snow plows passing within inches, rock salt being thrown at your windshield... Man... you're just not living.

Oh... and our worst recent earthquake was something like magnitude 3, lol.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you are, waiting to place an order for my 335i.

I would probably say it's not going to get any better on price. I agree, I'm going to have to pay a little more, but I would like to keep it right around $50K. Financing will be the bigger issue, the difference between 0.9% and 2.9% isn't all that much, I believe it's more psychological than anything. BUT, I have to satisfy the wife who is looking at the purchase of my car as a 'want' not a 'need'. Therefore, I'm going to have to get "as good a deal as I can".

I'm not so sure we're going to see the 0.9% and two payments for the 335i, especially for an order car. I'm holding out hope as I plan for an April order and a July PCD.

We'll see.

I've scoured the net on anything about the MY2010, there's nothing yet. I can't imagine there'd be much change, at least changes that I'd want. They've already updated iDrive and any other options that might trickle down from the 7 series or such, may be more than I'm willing to pay.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My 2 cents... if you're really pinching pennies, it's worthwhile to wait. After two significant price increases and knocking previously standard options to optional, I think BMW is out of tricks and may have to (gasp) reduce prices a hair or offer more options as standard. EUR, originally the excuse for price increases, has also returned from 1.60 back to 1.30ish.

That being said, I just ordered a 335i... just spend the dough, you know what they say, "can't take it witcha"...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts