BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently drive a 2003 325xi. This car is my daily driver. Rather than shelling out $$$ and modding my daily driver (e46 xi), I am looking for an good weekend car that is more fun to drive.

I have been checking 05 and 06 M3 both cpo and non cpo with ZCP and their price seems to be a bit inflated, given the fact that this is the latest m3 available out there.

I am not in a real hurry to get one immediately, I can even wait 2-4 months to get to the right car. What do you folks think of the e46 price drops as the new e92 m3 releases. I am not expecting a whole lot of price drop myself, but I suppose atleast the artificial markups might disappear.

Please chime in your opinions.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
you should buy mine in a year.

·
Black Mage
2,337 Posts
Scratch my last opinion. I think it just might, because most people with M3's might wanna put it down for the E92. We all know dealerships are notorious for trying to rob you to sh*t based on what your car's worth, so some people might end up desperately trying to sell their E46 M3's on the street. Take advantage of that. :thumbup:

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Venky, you live in NE. Last time I was there I didn't see a twist or turn on any road. :) Maybe that was Kansas.

If a weekend car, why not go older than '05 or 06? A friend of mine got a low mileage '03 for a great deal, with two sets of wheels, and only 31K miles. Private party.

The street price of used M3s is high, same on E36s. If you look hard enough you can find a deal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I will be moving out of Omaha very soon to South before Winter anyway. I wanted to get ZCP as well and that was offered only those two years 05 and 06 I believe.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have been checking 05 and 06 M3 both cpo and non cpo with ZCP and their price seems to be a bit inflated, given the fact that this is the latest m3 available out there.

I am not in a real hurry to get one immediately, I can even wait 2-4 months to get to the right car. What do you folks think of the e46 price drops as the new e92 m3 releases. I am not expecting a whole lot of price drop myself, but I suppose atleast the artificial markups might disappear.

Warrantee: '05 & '06's will still be under the original 4/50 warrantee. If you can find a CPO car, all the better. However, if you can find a private party sale for a good price from the ORIGINAL owner, have them buy the extended warrantee before you transfer the title. The added expense might be a wash in terms of what dealers are asking for CPO. The third option is to finance part of the car through a credit union. They usually have good third-party warrantees at better prices than the dealer and can roll the cost into your loan. All that being said, if it's a weekend car you may run out time way before you run out of miles. If that's the case, it might be worth putting the warrantee funds in an interest bearing saving account instead.

Price: There's been a lot of debate on the boards about how much the E46 M3 will drop in price vs. the E92 release. IMHO, it's not going to drop anywhere near as much as the E36 vs. E46. The E46 M3 has 95% of the E92 M3's performance, looks better (subjective, but you asked) with better gas milage at a much lower price. The best estimates I've seen for the E92 M3 base msrp is $63K, about $9K more than the E46 base price. As with the E46, a few options and you've $10K in options, meaning $75K M3 coupes and $80K convertibles. It's also many, many months away from our shores. When it does arrive, you won't see any at MRSP.

Traditionally, the best time to buy sports cars is in the late fall and winter. Dealers in snowy climates have (had) M3's sitting on the lots and were offering decent discounts. I'm assuming the same is true private party, were someone in your position is going to put their M away for the winter or is looking to sell it to make space in the garage.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I prefer mid-afternoon myself.

Seriously. Prices will fall significantly next year when the new M3 shows up. there will be lots of people dumping their E46s in favor of the new car. The closer the new car comes in, the lower thier price will be. I would not be buying an E46 M3 this year or you will be kicking yourself at the lower prices next year.

Price: There's been a lot of debate on the boards about how much the E46 M3 will drop in price vs. the E92 release. IMHO, it's not going to drop anywhere near as much as the E36 vs. E46. The E46 M3 has 95% of the E92 M3's performance, looks better (subjective, but you asked) with better gas milage at a much lower price. The best estimates I've seen for the E92 M3 base msrp is $63K, about $9K more than the E46 base price. As with the E46, a few options and you've $10K in options, meaning $75K M3 coupes and $80K convertibles. It's also many, many months away from our shores.
Base MSRP on the E92s will NOT be in the 60s- quit telling people that. This is at least the 2nd time this week youhave said that. WTF are you saying that the base MSRP on the E46s was 55? It was never that high. Wasn't even in the 50s.

Traditionally, the best time to buy sports cars is in the late fall and winter. Dealers in snowy climates have (had) M3's sitting on the lots and were offering decent discounts. I'm assuming the same is true private party, were someone in your position is going to put their M away for the winter or is looking to sell it to make space in the garage.

When it does arrive, I won't see any at MSRP as I live in the land what nothing is properly valued and my locals dealers are rip off artists and the buyers around me let them get away with it.
Fixed. Many dealers across the country will sell at MSRP. And if it is anything like the E60 M5, they will be under MSRP within 6 months if not less.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your responses. I am checking bmwusa site for CPO inventory every day...

Is there a link to 2005/2006 E46 M3 brochure so that I can see what all options were available those years.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Warrantee: '05 & '06's will still be under the original 4/50 warrantee. If you can find a CPO car, all the better. However, if you can find a private party sale for a good price from the ORIGINAL owner, have them buy the extended warrantee before you transfer the title.

Good luck!
Correct me if I am wrong, I always thought the 2OP program offered by BMW NA is only to the original owner and it voids when title is transferred.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well Bruce, I don't really know how to respond to your attack. I had assumed the purpose of the board is to exchange opinions, experiences and ideas. I mean no disrespect. He asked, I answered. I'm sure others, such as yourself, have differing opinions.

I remember looking at 2001 M3's in my, "and what nothing is properly valued and my locals dealers are rip off artists and the buyers around me let them get away with it., aka the San Francisco Bay Area, and dealers had up to $15K premiums applied to MRSP with a waiting list. Simple supply an demand. Not that I disagree with you, I would never pay over MRSP. However in my experience, that's what has and will happen, at least until the 2nd MY of production.

As for the MRSP, I quote from July 2007 Road&Track:

But the biggest problem with the new M3 is likely the price, which is expected to climb to about $62,000 when it goes on sale next spring. That***8217;s some $7000 more than the outgoing model, nearly double the price of a base 328i, and it's getting steep for a 3-series-based car.

Link: http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/13419/first-drive-2008-bmw-m3-paying-the-price-page5.html

As you've stated, or at least quoted what I posted, prices outside CA will usually be lower, especially in the winter in snowy climates. I assumed this was simple deduction and not a revelation. It was my personal experience, while shopping for my own car, that dealers outside CA were more willing to deal, especially as winter approached said dealers in snowy climates, like Denver or Chicago. Unfortunately in my case shipping and transportation costs offset the discounts.

If you think I've intentionally and maliciously lead the membership astray, please PM me and I'll never darken this particular corner of the internet again. Better yet, I will not post here again until the official price for the E92 M3 is released. If, with a few options (5 or less), the out-the-door price isn't $70-75K (TTL, coupe) I'll apologize to everyone and NEVER post here again. If I'm right, I get a public apology from you.

I look forward in the near future to: a) your apology b) my lifetime ban for questing a moderator. c) this post being deleted for citing my source, showing I'm not wrong.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well Bruce, I don't really know how to respond to your attack. I had assumed the purpose of the board is to exchange opinions, experiences and ideas. I mean no disrespect. He asked, I answered. I'm sure others, such as yourself, have differing opinions.

I remember looking at 2001 M3's in my, "and what nothing is properly valued and my locals dealers are rip off artists and the buyers around me let them get away with it., aka the San Francisco Bay Area, and dealers had up to $15K premiums applied to MRSP with a waiting list. Simple supply an demand. Not that I disagree with you, I would never pay over MRSP. However in my experience, that's what has and will happen, at least until the 2nd MY of production.

But the biggest problem with the new M3 is likely the price, which is expected to climb to about $62,000 when it goes on sale next spring. That's some $7000 more than the outgoing model, nearly double the price of a base 328i, and it's getting steep for a 3-series-based car.

Link: http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/13419/first-drive-2008-bmw-m3-paying-the-price-page5.html

As you've stated, or at least quoted what I posted, prices outside CA will usually be lower, especially in the winter in snowy climates. I assumed this was simple deduction and not a revelation. It was my personal experience, while shopping for my own car, that dealers outside CA were more willing to deal, especially as winter approached said dealers in snowy climates, like Denver or Chicago. Unfortunately in my case shipping and transportation costs offset the discounts.

If you think I've intentionally and maliciously lead the membership astray, please PM me and I'll never darken this particular corner of the internet again. Better yet, I will not post here again until the official price for the E92 M3 is released. If, with a few options (5 or less), the out-the-door price isn't $70-75K (TTL, coupe) I'll apologize to everyone and NEVER post here again. If I'm right, I get a public apology from you.

I look forward in the near future to: a) your apology b) my lifetime ban for questing a moderator. c) this post being deleted for citing my source, showing I'm not wrong.
Newest Autoweek is also quoting an estimated base price of $62.5k. I still can't believe an Audi RS4 starts at $66k. A $60k+ base 2008 m3 doesn't seem too far off.

I remember walking into BMW of San Francisco at the height of the dotcom days. In the front entrance they had an M3, M5, and Z8 all in a row with with a "market adjustment" of $25k, $25k, and $100k respectively by each window sticker. No joke, they were selling the Z8 for $200k+. I also remember getting great service even though I was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flipflops. Everybody was a dotcom millionaire : )

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ThatOneGuy, opinions vary, information passes along. You've passed on what you've known/heard.

Don't take it to heart. I am sure Bruce wasn't trying to be rude.

Let us all get along...In the mean time I'll be actively searching for E46 ZCP deals.

·
VIII
8,087 Posts

But the biggest problem with the new M3 is likely the price, which is expected to climb to about $62,000 when it goes on sale next spring. That's some $7000 more than the outgoing model, nearly double the price of a base 328i, and it's getting steep for a 3-series-based car.ILink: http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/13419/first-drive-2008-bmw-m3-paying-the-price-page5.html

I have to tell you two things:

1) All M3 owners are Ego-Maniacs. We are easy to offend and we offend easily. (I believe driving this incredible car makes us this way)

2) You need to have a tough skin on these forums at times. If you think it's bad here don't go to M3forum.net ;)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
my 2001 6MT is fore sale - 44k miles, with extended warranty - $low 30's.

·
Arrive Alive w/ my e92 M3
1,562 Posts
I currently drive a 2003 325xi. This car is my daily driver. Rather than shelling out $$$ and modding my daily driver (e46 xi), I am looking for an good weekend car that is more fun to drive.

my opinion on e46 M3 prices is that most that you'll see breaking the $30k price level are high mileage ones. Pristine, good history, hard to find color ones with low miles will still hold some decent value. bcoz I myself with not sell my priced /M3 just bcoz the kbb says its priced so. Since, the new /M3 will be out of reach for me, and a big tax and insurance liability, and its a V8. Im not entice to buy it for regular use.

Although the 335i is much better value, its not an /M, and I like to be call an /M guy without the heavy penalties. So, Im guessing other /M3 fanatics like myself will still be holding on the their e46 after the slight price correction. Drop! nah! the e36 /Ms had sustain their high teens levels so why wouldnt the e46s.

we'll see next year

1 - 20 of 21 Posts