Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Z/M roadster

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, especially the track types. What, in your opinions, is the best BMW to take to a track event (in stock form)?

I've spoken to many of our instructors, most of which are racers, and the M coupe leads this discussion.

What does the "world" think?
Haus

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
M Coupe. It's got the same rev happy engine, it's lighter, more rigid (in fact it's the most rigid of all the BMWs) and you will KNOW when your suspension is about to come loose as oppose to the more modern Z link suspension that will hide a lot of your flaws and lack of skill.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's generally the concensus I hear. I've never driven a M Coupe (almost traded my 325 for one) but I hear they are a kick! but they will bite ya on the track if you are not paying attention.

G

·
It kind of depends on the track... Long straights reward more HP while tighter tracks reward nimbleness.

I was leaning M Coupe before you even mentioned your instructors. My other pick would be the E30 M3, a nimble car with a great HP to weight ratio and is the only "street legal race car" on the list.

IMO, the E36 M3 is a great compromise between track car and daily driver but certainly not the BEST track car.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had a chance to drive the Mcoupe in the Susan Korman drive, and it was really a well-made car. All ergonomic flaws aside, it's a superior ride to the high end Cd roadster. It's a little tight for me in there, but it's firm. That's what I loved about the Z3 most, glued to the ground, and very predictable. :thumb:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
in_d_haus said:

I left out the M1 and Z8 because no one I know of has ever seen/driven one on a track.
And the M5 :confused:

The M Coupe is too small for me though. There is no way that I could fit in there with a helmet on. My head was touching the roof and I was too close to the wheel when I drove one for a 1.5hr ride. This one had a moonroof, but I think that it was too small. Period. E46 M3 would be my choice. It may be slower by a VERY slim margin, but it is much more comfortable and much more stable and forgiving...:thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.