BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do some preventative maintenance and replace is before it blows to prevent the broken down on the side of the road fun. This is my first BMW; is it always better to buy the genuine BMW parts or are there alternatives that won't destroy my baby? This is a twin turbo (as you probably know), the sport package and I will be doing as much of these repairs and general maintenance as I can myself. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,123 Posts
You need to be smart about what you are buying. BMW parts are nearly always fine. Occasionally, there is an aftermarket part that is superior or provides an alternative repair. Sites like ecstuning, autohausaz, pelicanparts, bavauto, just to name a few generally carry fine parts. Most of the parts are going to be made in Germany or some other European county. Sometimes they is made in China, but by one of the OEM suppliers. I generally don't buy parts from the local auto parts store unless I can validate that it is really just an OEM part sold though another brand, like Napa, for example. Amazon may also have the same parts as the sites I mentioned at a good price. I generally try for Fulfilled by Amazon just to be safe.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I like FCPEuro now, they sue to send parts from EastCoast but now I think for common parts they have SF warehouse, faster to west-coast customers:thumbup:

a couple of things,
1) they sell both OE BMW and OEM parts, you decide which one suit you best. IMHO for WP get the BMW one, trust me you don't want to work on this again anytime soon.

2)Another thing, they keep track of your past orders, this is nice since I have a few BMW so sometimes I forgot what I have at home. i.e I order two oil cooler rubber 0-rings, in anticipation to work on serpentine belt, was ready to order them again when ordering the belt kit. Then I checked past orders, I did order a few months back so I just need to find them in may garage bin:bigpimp:

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I like FCPEuro now, they sue to send parts from EastCoast but now I think for common parts they have SF warehouse, faster to west-coast customers:thumbup:

a couple of things,
1) they sell both OE BMW and OEM parts, you decide which one suit you best. IMHO for WP get the BMW one, trust me you don't want to work on this again anytime soon.

2)Another thing, they keep track of your past orders, this is nice since I have a few BMW so sometimes I forgot what I have at home. i.e I order two oil cooler rubber 0-rings, in anticipation to work on serpentine belt, was ready to order them again when ordering the belt kit. Then I checked past orders, I did order a few months back so I just need to find them in may garage bin:bigpimp:
I see VDO for the X, and Pierburg for the RWD. Be surprised if either of those are different that any BMW branded pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts