Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting close to finishing a couple of projects on my 2002 530. When it reached 120k, did the normal service and the VANOS seals/CCV combo. Cooling system and clutch was done a couple of years ago. Took my time, went on vacation, had to travel for work, and other cars needed attention, so it has been pretty much 3 months since I started it. Would like to circulate the oil a little before I start the engine. I still do not have my spark plugs installed so would it be OK to crank the engine without the plugs/coils installed? Any potential risks to the ignition system? Any better suggestions to reduce the potential impact of start-up without pretty much any oil in the top part of the engine and cylinders?

Will report on any VANOS impressions later. Thanks

·
Dinggg....what now!
1,074 Posts
now's the best time to crank it up with the plugs out.easier for it to turnover and let the oil pump do its job.i'd say a two session 5 secs crank with 5 mins rest in between is sufficient for oil circulation.dont want to hurt the starter motor for cranking it up too long...

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is a tool you can buy that plugs into the OBD1 socket under the hood. The round multi pin connector. Use this to run over the engine. The tool is a special plug and a push down switch. Should be less than $30 for one.

BEFORE doing so I would put about 50ml of engine oil down each cylinder. Maybe also spray some WD40 type oil down there too. Then turn over your engine for 20 secs at a time. I would then install new plugs(why not!) and start up your engine. After a long one or two hour drive... I would change the engine oil. New oil is the best oil. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just make sure you cut fuel when you crank the engine with the plugs/coils out. Plus you can keep the starter running for a bit longer than usual since there's no compression to overcome. The starter doesn't have to work as hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts