BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologizing ahead of time for my mechanical ignorance, I’m learning as I go.

I just bought a 1974 2002 yesterday that’s currently not running, going to find out in the next couple days what’s wrong with it and if it’s fixable or not. The car currently has an automatic transmission, which has got to go, I want a manual trans for sure.

I’m looking to get in the neighborhood of 300hp or so and wondering what my options are? I’m looking to keep the cost as low as possible, and also keep the fabrication work to a minimum as well, but understand there’s probably going to be some fan involved to get my power numbers.

Is keeping the M10 thats in it now and turbocharging it an option? I’m not sure if I have the carbureted or fuel injected motor, I’m assuming that will be a factor in whether this is possible or not? If I go this route, do I need to upgrade anything such as heads, or anything internally in the engine?

The other option is obviously an engine swap. I would like the keep the motor BMW. I’ve seen several different motor swaps such as S50/S52/S54, but I’m sure those are all pretty expensive motors.

I’ve seen a lot of people taking the 6cyl motor from an 80’s 325(M20) and turbocharge it. That seems to be a really popular option for whatever reason.

Another option I saw was the N54, which I’ve had a ton of 335’s and know the amazing capability for power with that motor. That said, I saw a guy who did this swap and it seemed like there was a ton of fab to make it work.

What do you guys think? I’m open to options, but again, looking to keep the cost down as low as I can and hopefully the fab to a minimum.

As far as transmission, if I do a motor swap, I would most likely try to get the manual trans that goes with it. If I keep the M10, should I find a manual trans from another 2002 or could I make a manual trans from say, an e30 work?

Thank you all for your knowledge and insight, I appreciate any recommendations and information you might have!

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
1,436 Posts
I wanna say that I have absolutely zero experience with a 2002 or the M10 but I do know it was a little 4 cylinder and think it had like 100hp. I’m not sure anything you do is going to get 3X the horsepower out of it aside from swapping it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The tii only made like 128 hp so 300 is just a little optimistic lol. Swap in an sr20 and away you go

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,899 Posts
Twin snails

but seriously, ‘keeping the costs as low as possible” is incompatible with TRIPLING the power output of a small motor. For example, I just ran across a 600hp VW super beetle. insane. And a ‘black budget’. It isnt ‘a few bolt ons and some meth’

I want to buy it, my wife is adamant. (My dad was killed in one, so there’s that…)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts