BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to take weight off my car? I have a 330xi, and though the 4-wheel grip helps, the added weight is not good for performance. What are the heaviest parts of the car that can be changed/taken out?

(excluding the spare-tire, the Second i take that out I will need it--murphy's law)

thanks!

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
The factory seats weigh 127 lbs and you can pick up new seats that only weigh about 50-60 lbs. Even though you don't want to remove it, the spare tire weighs about 23lbs.

Seats are pretty expensive though. I'm not sure what else is a high weight component that is not important in some way to the car.

If you are looking for a performance increase, have you thought about a cold air intake or exhaust system? For the price of the seats, you could easily pick up a nice CAI from Dinan and still have money left over (not to mention you will pick up more performance this way than removing 60 lbs).

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
I'd bet there's a good 40-60lbs of sound deadening material on the e46. Of course you'd feel like you were in a tin can if you removed it all. :D

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Just looking through my Sparco cataloge, the lightest seat they make is the "Rev C" at 10 lbs, The heaviest model is the Sprint seat at 17 lbs. I assume that is seat only, and not mounts. I'll bet the Sparco mounts are lighter or equal. Do this and you will have removed 107lbs (assuming 127 for the factory seats) and get a much more supportive seat in the turns. Remove the insulation, replace trim with Carbon Fiber, get rid of radio/speakers, A/C, back seat, and you will have shed a lot of weight from your top heavy Xi. Just modify the supsension for a cheaper and less hassle free way of improving your car. Get some SSR Competition wheels too :p

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Ackster said:
The factory seats are actually a total of 127 lbs for both. I didn't know Sparco's seats were so light! The seats I was talking about were Cobra Daytona Seats (58 lbs total). I got the stats about the seats from the May 2002 Eurotuner magazine.
post above- edited

Here is what the catologue said

http://www.sparcousa.com/sizechart_seat.htm

:dunno:

Notice how much lighter the Carbon Fiber models are compared to the Tube frame models....

Evo C- 9.8-10.5 lbs

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Emission mentioned this before, but you could always drive with a 1/4 tank of fuel:D . Weight is hard to work with, which is why most people go for lots of power instead. But then again, that's not easy on the E46 either:rolleyes: . If you're looking for significant weight decrease, it would be ambitious unless you're making a race car. By the time you do all that, you may have bought yourself another 330xi:D

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
I don't know if the space saver that comes with the 18" wheel option is less weight than the full size spare but it's most likely is.

I'm sure you could get one from the dealer that should fit perfectly in your car . . . and it's OEM :thumb:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
On top of everything else, replace glass with plexi and acid-dip all the body panels :D

·
10,856 Posts
Remove the front windows. You have to open them on the track, anyhow. :D

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The coupe parts are harder to make since the doorpull part is full of curves. UUC says they're working on it, or rather working with the people who make em, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Kaz said:
The coupe parts are harder to make since the doorpull part is full of curves. UUC says they're working on it, or rather working with the people who make em, I suppose.
I guess that will equate to $599+$200?:D . If there was one with the padding, I wouldn't mind having some. It ought to look good with your cloth:thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts