BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Best way to remove bird droppings?

2392 Views 21 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Sean
Within 4 hours of finding some bird droppings on my car, I carefully cleaned them up. Unfortunately, a very small 1/8" diameter section of the paint still has some remains of the bird dropping that are impossible to remove through washing the car.

What's the best product to deal with this without further affecting the car's paint?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Related thread:
http://www.beemerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4397&highlight=bird

You might try a "paint cleaner" of your choice, some like "P21S" has oils in it that will help dissolve, and lift such spots.
The key to success is to leave it alone as much as you can. The acids have settled into the paint which is what causes the stain to appear. Clean the area thoroughly but do not wax. Using a product like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, or other paint cleanser products will be the most you can do.

Let it breathe for a few days, and you will find that most of the stain will disappear on its own. Wax the area thoroughly when you are satisfied with the results.

Good luck!
See less See more
Alee,

Unfortunately, I already put some Zaino over it thinking this would help. But, it didn't. Should I first remove the Zaino using dishwashing soap and then use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze over it?
Dawn does not take off Zaino (it only removes natural wax).

Put a little isopropyl alcohol on a cotton towel, and apply it on the affected area. This will both strip the Zaino, and clean the affected area. Apply a little hand glaze after you have thoroughly cleaned the area.
Isn't isopropyl alcohol a little too strong to remove Zaino? I'm sure it will take off the Zaino -- but I don't want it to take off any paint. :dunno:
I believe even Zaino recommends isopropyl alcohol.

It doesn't take much to remove it so diluting it should be quite fine. 1/4 alcohol to 3/4 water should be plenty. You can tell its gone by rubbing your finger on the paint... it will drag across vs. glide.
This whole process should be called "alee-ing" after that nasty bird crap stain that you managed to get to disappear from your paint :thumb:
Mike 325xi said:
This whole process should be called "alee-ing" after that nasty bird crap stain that you managed to get to disappear from your paint :thumb:
Or maybe just "Aleeviating bird droppings"! ;)
Mike 325xi said:
Would cleaning cheeze whiz from your seat then be called Mikerizing:dunno:

And I know you'll ask about Phil-teration, the cleaning of horse manure off your tires:( :eeps:
See less See more
IndyMike said:

Or maybe just "Aleeviating bird droppings"! ;)
:lmao: ;)
PM 325xiT said:

Would cleaning cheeze whiz from your seat then be called Mikerizing:dunno:

And I know you'll ask about Phil-teration, the cleaning of horse manure off your tires:( :eeps:
I think Mrs. Phil calls cleaning cheez whiz from the bed sheets post-Mikerizing :D
Mike 325xi said:

I think Mrs. Phil calls cleaning cheez whiz from the bed sheets post-Mikerizing :D
:mad: :mad:

At least my blender is bigger then yours:p ;)
What I would do

I would try some McGuires #9 Scratch Remover. That should do the trick. Once it's gone, go with the 3M IHG and then some wax.

--gary
Question for Alee

Alee,

What chain stores or auto supply stores do you know of that would carry 3M Imperial Hand Glaze?

Thanks
See less See more
alee said:
The key to success is to leave it alone as much as you can. The acids have settled into the paint which is what causes the stain to appear. Clean the area thoroughly but do not wax. Using a product like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, or other paint cleanser products will be the most you can do.
I'm not sure where you guys got this idea that 3M IHG is a polish or cleanser. The stuff is a glaze, it's like icing on a cake. It fills swirls and scratches with glaze and does nothing to actually remove contaminants, scratches, etc. It's make-up. It hides inperfections. This is a common misperception, but one that's instantly noted when you try to remove something with it (bird doo or scratches).

--gary
See less See more
Question for Gary

Gary,

I thought that Meguiar's #9 was a swirl mark remover. Are you sure that it's good for removing bird dropping remnants?
Re: Question for Gary

PG said:
Gary,

I thought that Meguiar's #9 was a swirl mark remover. Are you sure that it's good for removing bird dropping remnants?
Yes, this is a light polish that will remove swirls, paint imperfections, staining and surface marring caused by more abbrasive cleaners. Clay won't touch it, glaze attempts to hide it, and more abrasive cleaners leave a haze that takes #9 to remove anyway -- so I recommend starting with #9.

Make sure you read the instructions carefully. Apply the stuff and buff until it's completely gone. :thumb:

--gary
See less See more
I can tell you that the 3M Fine Cut Compound won't do it. I experienced with it on 2 poop spots on my roof, followed by IHG and Blitz Wax.
Thanks for the heads up!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.