BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wheels are coming off for a brake job soon so I figure it's a good time to clean up the wheels.

Anyone have a recommended procedure to clean off them off? I'm hoping to get all the baked in brake dust off (and hopefully never deal with it again after switching to the Akenobo ceramics).

I was thinking of using a similiar procedure as claying baring the car with the wheels:
1. Stripping any wax off first with dish soap.
2. Use Scratch off to remove any minor scratches and hopefully the baked in brake dust.
3. Paint polish to give it the initial protective coating.
4. A layer of NuFinish.
5. Coat of wax.

Damn that sounds tiring already. Please share any tricks you may have.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Treat them like any other painted surface. I wouldn't bother with Dawn washing or claying them though. The last time I did my wheels I went over the barrels with goof-off and a plastic scraper to remove road tar and any leftover balancing weight adhesive residue. I then used hand polish to polish the face of the wheel and followed that with a couple of coats of a polymer wax.

You probably ought to do a search in the detailing forum - I am sure this has been discussed in depth in other threads.

·
No User Serviceable Parts
1,464 Posts
Cool. Definitely not claying them... was thinking I would do most of the things I would for claying except the actual claying. I need to find a plastic scrapper to use. Plastic butter knife?
Best one I ever used was a credit card! Of course, non-bank cards are preferred, but I keep all my old cards after they've been de-activated by the bank. I scratch up the mag stripe, rub off that 3 digit number on the back, and then just keep up with them.

However, they don't work too well in corners.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
I agree if you keep after it, nothing special needed. However, that stuff is from outer space and will clean up the worst brake dust accumulation with ease. It chemically breaks it down, bonds to it, and cuts it loose. I've seen pictures far worse than the samples show.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-related...onax-vs-100k-miles-dusty-brembo-pads-56k.html

If that doesn't impress, nothing will.
I don't know what's worse, the barrels of those wheels, or Brembo brakes on an X5.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have tried many wheel cleaners, cheap and expensive, and they are all about the same. If someone developed a product you could spray on, leave a couple of minutes, rinse, and the wheel would be perfect, then I would be all in. I have not found it. As soon as you have to "agitate," they are all the same to me.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Over in the E39 side of the house, in the VERY best of E39 Links, we looked at all the fluids in and about the BMW ... and here's the link for the wheel-cleaning fluids:

- Best product for cleaning wheels (1)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.