BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anticipation is the worst

In the past, I just kept looking over the literature, paperwork and read as much as I can.

Start planning on what you are going to do with the new "baby".

I drove my dealer nuts with asking for updates.

Go to other dealers and see what they have on the lot and know that your's is going to be exactly what you want.

hang in there.

·
TwinTurbo Power
76 Posts
Just a few things to try....

Mow your yard every day

Stay off the internet

Pretend what ever car you're driving is your new BMW. (This only works for a few days).

and last but not least... Lots and Lots of Dukes of Hazzard reruns!

Hope this helps.

2002 330i - SB - SP

·
Registered
319 Posts
My wait was terrible! I sold my car before I knew how long it was going to be to take delivery (ordered to my specs) and I was literally Renting-A-Wreck at $115/week. It was a 1986 Chevy Cavalier with the driver's seat mechanism so rusted, I had to bring along a pillow to put behind my back so I could reach the pedals!

In all honesty, during my wait I read TONS of pages on proper car care detailing techniques so when my baby finally arrived, I would know how to shine her up! (Ie., NEVER do the Karate Kid "wax on, wax off" move, you must move in linear lines!) :) Just know, it is worth the wait! Congrats! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
No No No, here's how you deal with the wait:

Visit the dealership weekly if t's a long ways away from your home, or daily if it's close enough. Walk between all the shiny new cars, until you find one that has the same configuration as the one you ordered. Screw the color.

Then decide to wait. Again. (I did this to myself twice!) :bigpimp:

Don't stay off the Internet. Find and read every Bimmer website you can. Read all the DIY files. Look at pictures.

Don't sleep. Don't even try.

And then, when the day comes, go completely nuts with a massive SAG plastered all over your face. Then drive. And drive some more. I broke my car in the first weekend. And I'm not kidding. 2000km's in three days. All I did was drive, and drive, and drive.

BTW, leave the stereo off for the first week. The car comes with built-in music.

Trust me. It's worth the wait. :D :D :D

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
I tried liquor, but in hindsight that was probably not the best choice.

You have a bunch of things to buy for your new car before it arrives. First, you should be intimately familiar with the Zaino web site, and you should be perusing the goodies at Griot's Garage or Motorhead (at a lower price point than Griot's). You will also need a radar detector for reasons that should be obvious (ignore threads titled "My BMW is too Slow" as these folks are clearly delusional). Read all the DIY files you can find on the web (E46Fanatics and BMW330Ci.com are good sources for these), hang out on the forums and try to separate the wheat from the chaff. Get a copy of the BMW accessories catalog and see if there's anything you want to have the dealer install. Memorize your production number and VIN to reinforce your OCD tendencies.

Sonet's right about the web page, except I haven't abandoned mine (click my sig pic if you wish). I'm sure there's more, but the nurse is here with my medication and she says I have to go now...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Frankly I don't understand why every one whines about waiting for a car.

I ordered my car on March 1, 2001. Promised delivery date May 10, 2001.

On May 10 2 4pm as promised they delivered the car to my door step. I didn't need to go to the dealer. In fact I never even saw my salesman until he came to my house with the car.

Maybe because my dad always ordered cars this way I seems natural to me.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I've been waiting since 1999 to order an E46, but got too good a deal on my 525i to pass up. Now that it seems we're finally going to get an E46 early next year, it will be my wife's car, with steptronic. :eek:

For me, my plan now is to wait until about 2005 or 2006 and make a decision between the M2 (the 2-door ///M version of the 1-series...as if I have to tell you guys) the new generation 3-series or if both of those are too Bangle-ugly, one of the last batch of the E46 330Ci (although the E36 and E30 M3s can't be ruled out).

Basically I'm just too damn cheap to buy the car of my dreams, I really like my modified 5-series, plus, I like the idea of always thinking about buying a new car.

Now, that's waiting.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
I've tried most of the suggestions here as well, short of the drugs. I too mistakenly put up my current car for sale thinking I could take my time and get what I want for it. Well, you guessed it, the car sold fast and now I'm the proud owner of an '83 Mazda RX7 which I bought from a 19 year old while waiting until Oct to get my new car. Won't I be ready for it by then!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts