BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few mentions of an oil filter that is better than the BMW filter. Does anyone have any specifics on this? (brand, p/n, etc) Also, is it better in terms of the size particles it will trap or longevity? Thanks .

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
There is one made by the OEM filter maker (MANN) and is called the ProTop. I don't know where you'd buy one, though. Bavauto might carry it. It looks pretty much the same but is made from synthetic fibers, like Mobil1 filters or Purolator PureOne filters.

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Hmm, when I went to a local parts shop, they sold me a Framm filter for my diesel. One of these days, will get around to changing the oil and filter! I am coming up on one year (car age) next month, but I still have 4,500 km to go until the first oli service.

Patrick

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Fram filters (at least what they sell here in the US) are garbage. If you got a US-style Fram, I'd take it back or throw it out.

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Kaz said:
Fram filters (at least what they sell here in the US) are garbage. If you got a US-style Fram, I'd take it back or throw it out.
It looks a litte strange too: it is just the paper element that goes inside the filter body. This may be a diesel only thing though. Or? :dunno:

Patrick

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
Oil Filter

Somewhere in the z3 forum was posted a oil filter report. yes FRAM is like using old socks. Hastings have been rated best for years, back when I bought my 2002 new!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Somebody posted the following about oil filters on the Bimmer.org site:

New filter (BMW): HU 925/4
New filter (Mann "long life"): HU 925/4
Old filter (supplied from factory with my 2001 330Ci): HU 925/3
From mann's web site, HU 925/4 replaces HU 925/3

If you visit the Mann Hummel website below, there are several links in there that show you the filter products.

HU/925/4 is the oil filter listed for dusty environments for an E46.

There is also the PROTOP filter, GT 925/3 listed for sporty drivers. The spiel on the protop says that it offer far better particle filteration for frequent cold starts, etc. So looks like this one is the one to get.

http://www.mann-hummel.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts