BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Better to learn on mediocre tires or high-end tires?

Curious if I should cough up the money for a new set of Michelin PS2's before the next DE or if I should stick with my ES 100's? The ES 100's have 10k on them and have been to one DE... they are a little thrashed and are making a lot of road noise...

So... will I learn more on new, hi-po tires or on the ES's?

-Mark

·
DHP pwns ZHP :p
7,078 Posts
SergioK said:
I found the ES100s to be great tires for track duty, predictable yet sporty.
:stupid:

But yeah... they do get real noisy when they are worn

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SergioK said:
I found the ES100s to be great tires for track duty, predictable yet sporty.
Do tires overheat? Do they lose traction if they pass a certain threshold in terms of heat? Track junkies, in your opinion, how do the ES's perform in this regard?

TIA,
Mark

·
7,078 Posts
markseven said:
Do tires overheat? Do they lose traction if they pass a certain threshold in terms of heat? Track junkies, in your opinion, how do the ES's perform in this regard?

TIA,
Mark
Yes they can.... when tires overheat, things like blistering starts to happen.. and sometimes tires can start fallin apart... so make sure you're running enough air pressure :p

I've never had mine blister. They do get a little greasy when it gets close to the higher temp ranges. But most tires will have this effect too.. .just at different points... The ES100s were always very predictable for me... they don't just let go... you can feel it when you're on the edge and they are pretty communicative.

·
10,856 Posts
One street tire isn't goign to be that different from another street tire. :p

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
One street tire isn't goign to be that different from another street tire. :p
Especially when you find yourself sitting in bumper to bumper traffic as much as I do. For my next set of tires, I'm thinking of getting the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW. What do you guys think?

-Mark

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
philippek said:
I think you need to tell me when you're going to be taking the big red beast to the track :D
Saturday & Sunday, August 13 & 14
LA Chapter Driving School
California Speedway
Fontana, CA

Are you gonna be there? :) The "beast" (aka the mom mobile/grocery getter - pinstripes, roof rack and all) will be there... ! :p

-Mark

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
markseven said:
Saturday & Sunday, August 13 & 14
LA Chapter Driving School
California Speedway
Fontana, CA

Are you gonna be there? :) The "beast" (aka the mom mobile/grocery getter - pinstripes, roof rack and all) will be there... ! :p

-Mark
Looks like it's full :cry:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
philippek said:
Looks like it's full :cry:
Even if it's full, you can always volunteer to work at these events. They're always looking for enthusiasts to help out. The rewards are you can drive a couple of sessions a day, when you have free time.

I've worked control, starter, re-entry and safety and it gives you a special insight into how these things are run, and a special appreciation for the volunteers you see at these events every year.

I'm still debating whether I should sign up as a student, or volunteer and get my 3-4 sessions over the weekend (I know Fontana like the back of my hand).

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The HACK said:
Even if it's full, you can always volunteer to work at these events. They're always looking for enthusiasts to help out. The rewards are you can drive a couple of sessions a day, when you have free time.

I've worked control, starter, re-entry and safety and it gives you a special insight into how these things are run, and a special appreciation for the volunteers you see at these events every year.

I'm still debating whether I should sign up as a student, or volunteer and get my 3-4 sessions over the weekend (I know Fontana like the back of my hand).
HACK,

Is Fontana really hard on brakes? Which track do you like better, Willow or Fontana?

-Mark

·
7,078 Posts
markseven said:
Is Fontana really hard on brakes?
Yes. Imagine braking from about 120mph down to about 35mph when coming from the outer section of the oval back into the infield...

·
Registered
25 Posts
markseven said:
Especially when you find yourself sitting in bumper to bumper traffic as much as I do. For my next set of tires, I'm thinking of getting the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW. What do you guys think?

-Mark
They suck and blow! No durability at the track. A fellow junkie is running a "free" set as a test for the manufacturer and even at that price they aren't worth it. Noisy too, so you'll probably be unhappy on the freeway with them. (Don't report us to our "crack" dealer though, we still need our fix of future tires!)

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Jeff_DML said:
what?? where do you see that? I am planning on signing up, wife might even go again :thumbup:
I was assuming since registration wasn't open that the class was full...but apparently it hasn't opened just yet. Mark, do you know when reg. opens?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts