BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I got this all figured out, I went on priceline.com like many before have advised and researched and put in a bid for Munich Center North..

for $147/night, i landed Munich Marriott for 9/17-9/19
According to the hotel website, their standard rate during that period is e180 = $278USD

So at least I can rest easy now that I got a 4-star hotel for a somewhat decent price (kinda wish I could've gotten it below $100/night but I guess due to Oktoberfest, the rates are inflated to meet demand).

Now I just need to book my Paris hotel and debating on Milan vs. Venice to stay the weekend following my pickup after Stelvio.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Ouch thats a lot more than the $60 bids I got accepted in 2005 and 2006 Summer

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah, here's why:

Now: 1 EUR = 1.5472 USD
July, 2005: 1 EUR = 1.20366 USD
July, 2006: 1 EUR = 1.26806 USD

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yeah, here's why:

Now: 1 EUR = 1.5472 USD
July, 2005: 1 EUR = 1.20366 USD
July, 2006: 1 EUR = 1.26806 USD
Right, and that would make $60 in 2006 be $73 now, not $147..and 9/17 isn't even Oktoberfest yet

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
So I think I got this all figured out, I went on priceline.com like many before have advised and researched and put in a bid for Munich Center North..

for $147/night, i landed Munich Marriott for 9/17-9/19
According to the hotel website, their standard rate during that period is e180 = $278USD

So at least I can rest easy now that I got a 4-star hotel for a somewhat decent price (kinda wish I could've gotten it below $100/night but I guess due to Oktoberfest, the rates are inflated to meet demand).

Now I just need to book my Paris hotel and debating on Milan vs. Venice to stay the weekend following my pickup after Stelvio.
I think your bid is a bit on the high side.

Quickly glancing at biddingfortravel.com it appears tha most are winning bids for $85.

Its no big deal... I assume you are a first-time user for priceline. You will get better at it utilizing the biddingfortravel.com info for future priceline bids.

Cheers,

beewang:)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eh not a big deal...like i said above, std rate was $280/night.
I did look on biddingfortravel prior to bidding, another user was over $100/night on 9/1 iirc...

do i just do a search there, i seem to be the only one currently bidding for rooms 4mo in advance?

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
Those are non existant. I paid like $80 in March 05 and paid $160 March 08. Things have drastically changed in 3 yrs.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Those are non existant. I paid like $80 in March 05 and paid $160 March 08. Things have drastically changed in 3 yrs.
Well, I just did a $60 bid which was accepted for a hotel in Frankfurt for next month. Of course I had to stoop down from a 4 Star to a 3 Star, but still a Marriott property. (I'd bid up to $84 for a 4 star with no luck.)

·
CarSwami
806 Posts
The Marriott Munich North hotel is a decent hotel, close to the Welt and to the subway. If you booked your rooms using Priceline, I don't think that the rate will include breakfast, unless you have some level of membership status at Marriott. But there is a very nice bakery a block or so down the street (as you walk towards the subway stop) that has great croissants, Pain au Chocolat, coffee, etc., for a reasonable price. They have also got secured underground parking, but I know that a few ED'ers have parked on the street in front of the hotel (they are braver than me!). Enjoy your trip.

·
*insert witty one liner*
257 Posts
As most have said, the thought of booking the Munich Marriott for under $100 is pretty much impossible now. I tried for a week straight, increasing my bid by $10/night every time. I got up to $140/night and decided I was better off just booking the hotel myself.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did my own thing

I tried for over week with priceline & was over $125, then saw that Tripadvisor gave Hotel Uhland a higher satisfaction rating. Got a room for 69.30 euros including what seems to be a great breakfast, parking in their back lot & all taxes. I researched other sites to death before I committed.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Bee:

Did your humor just get me again??? Is this really true:

Oh yeah!! Forgot to mention... For those of you History buffs: The Sheraton 4 points @ Olympic Park is in the former Olympic Village back in 1972.
I'm starting to think your posts need sub-titles or something. I worry I believe everything you tell us, even when I should be suspicious. :dunno:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was unable to get the Munich Marriott on PL for my April 21st delivery. As I understand, there was a conference in Munich that week. However, I did get the King's First class for 135 Euros total for two nights.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
The Marriott Munich North hotel is a decent hotel, close to the Welt and to the subway. If you booked your rooms using Priceline, I don't think that the rate will include breakfast, unless you have some level of membership status at Marriott. But there is a very nice bakery a block or so down the street (as you walk towards the subway stop) that has great croissants, Pain au Chocolat, coffee, etc., for a reasonable price. They have also got secured underground parking, but I know that a few ED'ers have parked on the street in front of the hotel (they are braver than me!). Enjoy your trip.
:D Parked on "the street" in front of the Marriott Munich North Hotel:

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I tried for over week with priceline & was over $125, then saw that Tripadvisor gave Hotel Uhland a higher satisfaction rating. Got a room for 69.30 euros including what seems to be a great breakfast, parking in their back lot & all taxes. I researched other sites to death before I committed.
Tripadvisor is a good alternative to Priceline - especially when you are looking for lodging off the beaten track. We secured our rooms in Melk, Austria (Hotel Zum Post?), a place in Innsbruck, and a B&B in Fussen that all were reasonably priced, had included breakfasts, and were more than comfortable.

·
Button Pusher
1,166 Posts
I'll second this. We tried Priceline bidding back in January for an early March visit to Munich and were turned down on bids up to $90, even though I won the Marriott for $65 the previous year. Considering breakfast isn't included at the Marriott and costs 18 Euros/person (!!!), as well as parking not being free either, we opted to try Hotel Uhland, which I think was about 80 Euros for double occupancy. Recommended for the reasons stated above.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts