I was in the dealership tonight about to put down my deposit on an '05 Steel Gray fully loaded when I started looking at another M3 on the showroom floor with the comp package.
WHAT I LIKE (about the comp package):
1. I love the ZCP wheels. I am 90% sure I would buy them on the base M3 anyway as an extra set and maybe mount some all weather tires on the 18" wheels.
2. The larger and cross drilled rotors. I had no idea the ZCP package had upgraded braking as well. Anyone have track test #s that say whether or not the larger and drilled rotors have a true performance increase? They should, but thats not always the case from my experience. The vette Z51 has almost no performance increase with the drilled rotors.
3. Exclusivity - the comp package is obviously a bit more exclusive since it was only offered in the last year of production.
WHAT I DON'T LIKE:
1. You lose the streering wheel controls. This is really big for me as I love radio and cruise controls on the steering wheel. Really can't make up my mind on this one. I am so pissed you can't have it both ways.
2. Louder brakes - Supposedly the brakes are noticeable louder with the comp package and probably break down a bit quicker since they are more track oriented.
3. $4,000. For $4,000 extra you can get a pretty mean set of rims (probably even lighter than the ZCP) from BBS or someone else and still have a few dollars left over. But you don't get the improved braking or exclusivity.
Have I considered all the issues? What would you guys do if you were buying it over today? Keep in mind I am 90% sure I will swap out the stock 19s for the ZCPs one way or the other. But I don't really like the alcantra wheel since I want the steering controls.
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: So undecided at this point. Any advice would be great.