BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously thinking about ordering an X5, but I'm concerned about my dog being comfortable in the rear cargo area. He's an 80 lb. lab. He fits comfortably in the back of an Explorer, which has a somewhat larger cargo area than the X5. I even climbed in the back of an X5 today and closed the rear hatch to see what it would feel like. It felt pretty tight, but of course, I'm bigger than he is. I removed the cargo cover, and it seemed to create a little more space back there, so I suppose I could just remove the cargo cover when transporting the dog.

Does anyone have a relatively large dog that they put in the back of their X5 on a regular basis? If so, how does it work out?

·
Hog Town
1,100 Posts
BradATL said:
I'm seriously thinking about ordering an X5, but I'm concerned about my dog being comfortable in the rear cargo area. He's an 80 lb. lab. He fits comfortably in the back of an Explorer, which has a somewhat larger cargo area than the X5. I even climbed in the back of an X5 today and closed the rear hatch to see what it would feel like. It felt pretty tight, but of course, I'm bigger than he is. I removed the cargo cover, and it seemed to create a little more space back there, so I suppose I could just remove the cargo cover when transporting the dog.

Does anyone have a relatively large dog that they put in the back of their X5 on a regular basis? If so, how does it work out?
I recall a few guys here have big dogs they transport them in the cargo with no problems.

·
Welcomed to the 'Fest!
696 Posts
BradATL said:

We had a guy attend WestFest II and III and he had two big ol' German Shepards in back. They were fine for a couple of hours drive but any cargo he carried had to go on the roof rack.

The cargo cover has been out of my X5 for the last couple of years and I don't have a dog. I just hated the rattling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
so that rattling comes from the cargo cover? :yikes: damn, been trying to find out what rattles at the back when i drive, goin to yank that thing off now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys!

PersonaNonGrata said:
We had a guy attend WestFest II and III and he had two big ol' German Shepards in back. They were fine for a couple of hours drive but any cargo he carried had to go on the roof rack.
If someone fit 2 German Shepherds back there, my dog should be fine. Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
G Smith

We drive once a year from Houston to Nantucket and back with 2 Golden Retrievers in the "way back". Plenty of room cause we stow all of our gear on the rear seat. We raise the rear seat back a little to give them a little more room and they seem quite pleased. Also day-today driving and weekends they are always back there with us running errands. If we had to carry something in addition to the dogs back there, it would be a problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Only got a medium dog, but can relate to the noseprints on the windows!

Seriously though, your lab should be quite comfortable. It isn't huge back there, but there is enough room to turn around.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've seen a golden retriever ride in the cargo area of an X5. That dog looked pleased. LOL

Just gotta warn you that your X5 will start to smell funny, if you choose to transport your buddy along frequently.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have a 90lb Yellow Lab and we had the same concerns coming from an Exploder... when you remove the cargo cover and move the rear seat backs forward a little bit they have plenty of room... the only down side is the slobber after playing at the park that they seem to leave on the seats... actually the biggest concern is the distanct from the ground up on top of the tailgate... it is quite a jump...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts