BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so awhile ago I traded a car for a 1995 BMW 3 series 318i sedan. Four Cylinder.

When I got it the guy had said that it had an electrical issue and needed to be boosted to start it. When I started looking into it I found out that the car would drain around 5 volts overnight or more. It had gotten to the point where when we had charged the battery and put the voltmeter to the battery which we could see the drain go down. We tried pulling fuses and all that which didnt work. I took out the aftermarket stereo which didnt help either. I also checked if it was the alternator and no such luck. We then put a new battery in it and it's been a lot better but it's still draining probably .20 or so more volts overnight which is better but it's still draining. :thumbdwn:

The kilometers on my car read around 103 000, but the body is pretty bad.. the top coat is peeling off the hood and roof of my car and there is quiet a bit of rust. Basically the whole front end of my cars undercarriage is covered in oil or some sort of dark, and gross liquid stuff that looks like oil. There looks to be a leak in middle/front area underneath of my car and when I look under the hood by my power steering resivour there is an immense amount of it on the pipe/hose leading underneath the car.

Also one last thing, my high beams wont work on my car. When I put them forward they show the blue symbol on my dash and they work. But when I put them backwards (the way they are supposed to go) the light doesn't come on and they don't work.

Very confused and this car sounds like a disaster to me. :bawling:
Any help is useful, I love my car but by looks and sounds of things I'm gonna end up putting way too much money in it. At least more than I wanted to put into it. :/

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Watching the drain current is the way to tell. Connect a current meter in series with the battery, then close the trunk (leaving the meter outside so you can watch it). After 15 minutes or so, the drain current should drop to around 20-40mA.

If you don't see the current going down, then something is keeping the car awake.

If the current goes down but remains significantly higher than 20-40mA, there is a drain you need to find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts