BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a Cajun restaurant for lunch on Wednesday. That restaurant has big parking spaces. This is what I saw after I came out. The big parking spaces accentuated the smallness of the little yellow car.

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle

I recognized the VW. It's owned by one of my 1300 or so former coworkers. That VW's been knocking around where I work since before I got there in 1995. It's a Super Beetle, longer than the standard Beetle.

Bubbaville Beach is a tourist town and summer is tourist season. Most of the tourists here drive here. So, they tend to come in Mom's SUV. I can sit at a traffic light with ten other cars and they're all SUV's. We're guilty now, too. Frau Putzer demanded an SUV this time around and she ended up with a G01 X3.

The other car at my former workplace that I remember from 1995 is also still there being used as a daily driver: the mother of all hoopties. It looks like a 1963 Oldsmobile Delta 88. That'd make it 59 years old.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

There's a 1955 Bel Air in Bubba Estates, but I never see it move.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is why I get a laugh when people complain about gas prices. Back in the late 70s I cut my teeth on a 4 door duelly with a 454. Thankfully the company was paying for the gas and everything I ran over with that extra tire on each side. Now folks are driving them and school bus SUVs as an identity thing.

·
Anti-Hack
7,751 Posts
@Autoputzer, your coworkers are my kinda people. That picture of the yellow Super is great. The Super was only 1-2” longer than the standard Beetle, and only ahead of the cabin due to the Macpherson strut front end replacing the old torsion tubes.

By April, the Bimmer sees limited use so I can drive the ‘86 Olds and the ‘84 GMC. The Bug was driven all winter, kept near the Hamptons, LI as my station car for work down there. I’m doing a chassis swap on it next month, quicker and easier than welding pan repair.

Owned this one 24 years. Still doesn’t throw a CEL, which is impressive if one is familiar with the old GM CCC. All the more impressive because it’s been engine swapped with a bigger, older engine never available in that chassis that I had to computerize to make work with the factory ECM.

This one was my grandfathers and lived from ‘91 til ‘11 in Sebastian FL. Not only does it not have AC, but doesn’t even have a vent setting nor vents in the dashboard; manual footwell flaps are all it has, other than windows. I got it when he died and drove it back to NY in late May ‘11. A leaking RMS is going to have to force me to replace the clutch soon; to prolong it, I usually shift without using the clutch.

New parts aren’t necessarily good, just shiny.

·
Registered
2022 M3
4,159 Posts
This reminds me that, when a poor uniersity student in the late 60s, I had an even smaller car than the VW -- a Fiat 600D. School was in downtown DC and parking was a problem. There were a couple of times when I found myself behind a Beetle hunting a spot. He'd pull up and try to fit in a tight spot and be unable to make it. As he pulled away to try his luck elsewhere, I would scoot right in -- score!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
14,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The oldest car I ever owned was 15 years old, but I bought it new and kept it 125k miles. I paid for most of it with reimbursed business trips, and around $3300 in GM MasterCard rebates.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

They guy who bought it let it sit for six months. He supposedly has it up and running now. He has a 96 mile/day commute that he was doing in his new F-250 diesel, since his Smart died. He runs the automotive hobby shop at the naval base I worked at. I go there a couple times a year to do BMW oil changes.

The Cobalt's engine was in perfect shape when I sold it, having had a steady diet of synthetic oil, and still not needing oil top-off between 8k mile oil changes. I'm looking forward to seeing that car go past 200k miles... with somebody else maintaining it.

·
Registered
14,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2007 Cobalt SS had the 2.4 liter, naturally aspirated, VVT, aluminum-block "EcoTec" engine. For 2008 and beyond, the 2.4 liter engine cars were badged as LT's instead of SS's. I saw another Cobalt SS yesterday, but it was beat all to hell, including having the small, fixed window on the left rear door broken out (likely by a burglar). I'd seen the car last December, and that window was broken out then. Yesterday, the beat-up SS had the windows open, meaning the car's AC is kaput. The old lady driving it also looked like she'd had a life just as rough as her car did.

There's another beat up Cobalt SS that comes through Bubba Estates once and a while. They're redoing a big intersection near Bubba Estates, and that's diverting a lot of through traffic through Bubba Estates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts