BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be sacrilege to install a bike carrier on my 540? If not, can anyone suggest one that will not gross out everyone in this forum?

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Just buy the BMW version, it looks the best and it's about the same price as other brands out there. I have one that I use every now and then and I have the rear fold down seats, I don't want to get my trunk full of mud after a good run.

I can post some pics but it will be tomorrow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here is my car with the factory base racks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jeff

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
how many bikes would you need to carry. i normally just carry mine in the trunk. put in a few sheets of tarp. be sure to use some to separate the disassembled wheels and you're good to go... at full speed!

·
Jedi Master
853 Posts
Would it be sacrilege to install a bike carrier on my 540? If not, can anyone suggest one that will not gross out everyone in this forum?
Why would it be sacrilege? My Thule racks have been put frequent use and can carry three bikes on the roof of the Touring.

·
Run Far
367 Posts
You own the car for YOUR purposes, not ours. BMW wouldn't have put mount points on the roof if they weren't intended to be used :)

·
Underdog On Top
176 Posts
Roof rack is DEFINITELY the way to go. Keep the muddy bikes outside the cabin and preserve interior cargo room.

A good rack (w/ bikes on it) is good to go up to triple digits. It is AMAZING how much drag is created, though . . .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the great input. I would like to see the racks on that red 5. Are the BMW ones manufactured by Thule?

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Roof rack is DEFINITELY the way to go. Keep the muddy bikes outside the cabin and preserve interior cargo room.

A good rack (w/ bikes on it) is good to go up to triple digits. It is AMAZING how much drag is created, though . . .
but it does a real number on your cornering capability. :eeps: lot's of winding roads enroute to those mountain trails from where i'm from. you can enjoy both the biking and drive. :thumbup:

as for the mud, the tarps does a really good job once line your trunk with it and wrap the entire bike with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
locked and loaded

Highway milage:
Clear roof: 28mpg
just the rack: 25
rack + bike: 23
rack + all the bikes: 21

A car is always prettier with the bike. Even nicer without the car.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Factory Profil 2000 racks for sale

Hi there. I just sold my 2001 540i and always thought the racks were just fine. I left them on the car almost year round. I never worried about the MPG issue, but they do whistle if you open the sunroof.

I am selling my set of roof rails, two mountain bike racks and one road bike clamp. (Just sold the car and got an X5). I'd sell the whole set for $250. I am in the NYC area, so figure on shipping costs as they are kind of bulky.

You can email me directly if you are interested. [email protected].

1 - 15 of 15 Posts