BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I am trying to find a suitable bike carrier for my BMW X5 are there any good suggestions and where to buy it online from knowing that my car has 2 screws left and right not a middle one like some cars.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,487 Posts
I have appreciated my Draftmaster hitch receiver mounted carrier for ten years, and now on my X5.

The Draftmaster, by ATOC, was on my VW Jetta when it was totaled by a tornado (2000 Ringgold, Ga. 27 April 2011) blowing a motel onto the car. The Draftmaster survived, one of the bikes survived.

Draftmaster is the solution for carrying traditional bicycles, tandems, recumbents and trikes on an easy loading hitch-mount system

Carry all frame styles without modification - No frame adapters needed.
Carry long bikes or trikes with NO vehicle side overhang - Only on a Draftmaster.
Easy access to your trunk or hatch - No need to unload to get at your stuff.
Bikes ride "in the draft" - Gets bikes off the roof for better gas mileage.
Access to any bike at any time - No need to unload other bikes to get at your bike.
Bikes secured at points designed for contact - Why risk damage to your frame or paint job?
Simple, easy-loading operation - No awkward clamps or anti-sway gizmos needed.
Simple assembly - Modular components simply slide together. Draftmaster can be easily disassembled and stored when not in use.
Rock-solid receiver connection - Anti-wobble design bolts snugly into your car's receiver.
Options to fit 2.00" and 1.25" receivers. (Carrying capability may be limited by your receiver capacity)
Quality products backed by a two year warranty.

http://atoc.com/draftmastermain.php

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Can you narrow it down a bit? What type are you looking for? Roof mounted? Tailgate mounted? Do you even have a trailer hitch to do a trailer hitch mount?

I used to be partial to roof mounts on all my 3 series, and I always put a sticky note on the garage door opener so I would not drive in with the bike(s) on top of the car.
On the X5 my preferred location is inside the car. If you take the front wheel off you can wedge the bike upright on the passenger side with that side of the rear seat down and still have the larger portion of the rear seat available. If you have third row the third row seat belt helps hold the front wheel. As a matter of fact I have a bike in the car with that setup right now. Allows to carry bike and two dogs.
Alternative is rear hitch mount and for that I have a Yakima rack. That being said I don't like put the expensive bikes back there.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,487 Posts
Bikes on roof racks have a steep learning curve like clipless pedals. I***8217;ve watched too many expensive errors. ATOC racks are roof racks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your advices, actually I was concerned abt racks that cause scratches to the car however, I like the idea of the official BMW bike rack since I have the 2 side screws but not the middle part but its still over priced so im trying to find smtn for less price

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
didnt know the bmw one went into the tox hook holes..pretty good idea.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yea, OP is talking about the original BMW bike carrier that goes on the tow hooks. The middle he's talking about is the tow hitch. Every X5 has tow hooks but not every X5 has a tow hitch. You can try to look around the classifieds for used ones. I've seen them go for around $300-350.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hitch Mounted Bike Carrier

My 2007 X5 is an excellent bike hauler. For anti-theft security a bike with the front wheel removed can be hauled and temporary stored inside it with the third and second row down. My X5 has a BMW hitch which allows a hitch mounted bike carrier. Thule and Yakima and others offer many solutions depending whether you need 2 or 4 bike carriers for road or mountain bikes. Last year I purchased a Kuat Sherpa that integrates a cradle on the tire so the my carbon bike frame is not touched. Light weight and easy to install the Sherpa also provides a hand or foot pivot so the rack tilts away from X5 to allow access to your hatch even when loaded with bikes. The Kuat has a lock for the hitch and an integrated cable lock but I don't allow my bikes out of sight when using it. When not hauling bikes, the Kuat folds up close to the X5 body.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.