BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost an anchor plate when taking down the bike rack. It's not available as a spare part, and buying the whole new rack because this puny little thing is missing seems ridiculous. Any advice? Perhaps someone has a broken/unused rack rusting in the garage that they'll be willing to sell for spare parts?

The anchor plate is just a rectangular nut, about 1 3/8 in (35 mm) long, 1 in wide, and 1/8 in thick, with an off-center threaded hole (at about 1/3 length) that fits a metric M6x1 bolt. Its purpose is to fasten the bike rack to cross bars.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
650 Posts
It sounds like it is simple enough to make yourself. I would use stainless steel then paint it flat black to hide any imperfections. Our E91 wagon comes with rails but I had to buy the cross racks which have a custom retaining track. It was simple to cut pieces of stainless steel and tap them as retainers for accessories from other rack manufacturers. When we carry our kayaks one sits flat while the other sits on its side. Different kayak rack suppliers but attached to the BMW cross pieces. I made a few extra backing plates and ended up attaching marine cleats and rings as well for secure tie down locations.

I would try to create the lost plate that you need if you can't find a used one easily. It can't be that difficult

1 - 2 of 2 Posts