BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
The hitch thing would be a bit awkward I'm sure everyone can agree on that. The roof rack is a lot easier to get away with. Research "Thule" they make great roof racks and even have some universal options. Good luck. Post a pick of what you end up doing.

· Registered
3,325 Posts
I don't agree, I would have no problem with someone putting a hitch on a 6. It is just a car in the end.

If all I needed was to transport a bike I would do that in a heartbeat. I needed a more robust solution to towing and outdoor activities, but I am not sure everyone has the budget/space/desire to go the route of another vehicle just for that purpose...

Here is a previous thread with the "hitch debate":

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534342&highlight=jeep

My solution:

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. I really don't want to put a hitch on my car, and I do NOT want a roof rack -- I'd never be able to hoist my 25 lb. bike up there. I need one which fits on the back of the car that won't scratch or mar the paint. Certainly there must be one somewhere!!

Still looking for an answer!

· Registered
3,325 Posts
I don't see how you could ever put an external rack on your car that won't cause some type of paint marring. It would have to touch somewhere, then it would have to support the weight of the bike(s) by pushing on to the trunk. Rub points and pressure equals scuffing.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

Your answer makes sense, but it does seem like a soft cloth under the grips would keep that from happening? I can't find one anywhere anyway, so I guess I'm out of luck.:thumbdwn:

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Registered
2 Posts
I looked around for a while and ended up having a custom hitch made for my 2007 650 convertible that looks similar to the one on the hitchsource website. For some reason the various web sites had a hitch that would fit 2004-2006, but none would guarantee it would fit a 2007. Mine is held on by 5 bolts and takes about 20 minutes to put on or take off. I only use it for a bike rack so I put it on in the Spring and take it off in the Fall. It is pretty heavy so the older I get the more I think it should be a two man job. Also, occasionally it does bang the ground on steep driveways or parking lot entrances. Since it is bolted to the bumper mounts, I'm afraid that someday I will set off the airbags when that thing hits the ground. Until then I'm happy that I'm not scuffing up the paint job...

· Registered
2 Posts
Help with a trailer hitch

I know this is an old thread and long forgotten but I thought I'd give this a shot anyway. I'm a recent 2005 645ci coupe owner and came across the Curt trailer hitch thread and was excited to see there was an option to install a rack so that I could transport my bicycle. I know the idea of putting a rack on a 6 is repulsive to most, however, in the interest of personal fitness, I'm in need of one as a hitch rack is the best option to transport a bike when a roof rack is not an option (as in the 645ci). I would never subject my car (or bike) to a trunk mounted rack so a hitch rack is the only way to go.

In particular, the Curt 11513 hitch mentioned in the thread seemed to offer an easy option in that it used existing holes with no modifications to the car required. However, upon closer inspection on the Curt website, it states that the hitch is compatible with the convertible only, not the coupe! I have tried everything I can think of to determine if this hitch is also compatible with a coupe (calling Curt, local installers, internet sites, etc.) to no avail.

Does anyone know if the Curt hitch is compatible with a 2005 645ci coupe? If not, do you know one that is?

Thanks for your help...

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the link, that is a very interesting item. I'm trying to determine if I'm brave enough to try it. Amazon has it but not all reviews are positive so I'm not sure how much I trust mounting a valuable bike onto a valuable car using only suction cups. Also, I'm in Portland, OR so we get cold, wet and dirty in the winter - probably not ideal conditions for something like that.

I think my first idea of a hitch is safer and much less worrisome. I just can't determine if this Curt hitch bolts onto a convertible would it also fit a coupe? Why wouldn't it? Anyone have any experience or ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.