BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

bike rack solutions

8955 17
I know there is a top mounted rack solution from BMW, but wondering about any tailgate or rear bumper mounted solutions. I don't have a hitch and don't plan on putting one on. Just wondering if anyone has or knows of a rear mounted bike rack solution that can hold a couple of bikes. thanks!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Hi, if you go to the Yakima site and configure a bike rack for your X3. You should configure it as a roof rack or one that attaches onto the hatch.
:)
It'd just get one of those hitch-mounted bike carriers from Thule or Yakima. Both offer the carriers for a bit over $400 and of course you need to buy a hitch and get that installed.
BMW makes a sweet bike carrier for the X1 that plugs into the two tow hook mounts on the rear bumper. For some reason they have yet to release the same thing for my X3.
That would be sweet. I just had a tow hitch installed yesterday. It was $1400 and an X1 owner might not spend it to get the rear rack but maybe enough X3 owners do drop the money that they don't want to give that up.
BMW makes a sweet bike carrier for the X1 that plugs into the two tow hook mounts on the rear bumper. For some reason they have yet to release the same thing for my X3.
Why is not the rooftop rack an option. You can get it for one quarter to one third the price of a hitch?
I wanted a hitch for more than just a bike rack. But, there are people who don't want bikes on top of their vehicle for various reasons (underground parking/garage clearance for example). I know two people who have forgotten their bikes were up top and hit something. One of them refuses to use roof mount racks from now on.
Why is not the rooftop rack an option. You can get it for one quarter to one third the price of a hitch?
I too know someone who forgot about the bikes on the top and drove underneath an awning at a hotel (luckily it was at walking speed so nothing catastrophic, albeit damage to the vehicle, rails, and bike ensued). I'm pretty sure I would do the same if I ever got one.

Also, there is the issue of hoisting the bike on top in the first place. This may be less of an issue for road bikes which are lighter, but I have a DH bike that weighs 17kg and getting that on top would be difficult at best.
I wanted a hitch for more than just a bike rack. But, there are people who don't want bikes on top of their vehicle for various reasons (underground parking/garage clearance for example). I know two people who have forgotten their bikes were up top and hit something. One of them refuses to use roof mount racks from now on.
Do you have a link, I'd love to see this!
Ok, if someone can't remember there is something on their roof and they want to spend another grand because they can not remember that, I guess I can't argue.
I'm not tall enough to use a rooftop rack. Also, I dislike dead bugs on the bikes. So, we were carrying our bikes inside X3 for a while, piling one on the other. Now, we are using interior racks. Front wheel and seat have to be removed from the bikes in order to place them on the racks, but there are other benefits, bikes are clean and safe. We have a car top carrier for additional luggage space.
Ok, if someone can't remember there is aomethong on their roof and they want to spend another grand because they can not remember that, I guess I can't argue.
I went with the hitch mounted Thule Doubletrack 990XT ($300). So far it's great, locking pin for the hitch and locking clamps for both bikes. Most surprising was that with only one bike (in the back most slot) you can still open/close the tailgate without removing the bike from the rack. I thought that was worth sharing in case anyone is looking at hitch mounted racks.

The two more expensive models tilt away from the vehicle for opening the tailgate, but if you're only carrying one bike then you don't need to pay another $140 for that feature. :thumbup:
That sounds great. Mind posting some pics for us?
I went with the hitch mounted Thule Doubletrack 990XT ($300). So far it's great, locking pin for the hitch and locking clamps for both bikes. Most surprising was that with only one bike (in the back most slot) you can still open/close the tailgate without removing the bike from the rack. I thought that was worth sharing in case anyone is looking at hitch mounted racks.

The two more expensive models tilt away from the vehicle for opening the tailgate, but if you're only carrying one bike then you don't need to pay another $140 for that feature. :thumbup:
Sure, I'll take the bike out in the next couple days and get some pics with the bike rack in place.
Mind posting some pics for us?
Here you go...

Hitch install, pretty inconspicuous when not in use:

Bike rack folded:

Tailgate clearance:
Mind posting some pics for us?
Within the X3 accessories brochure you will find the rear mount bike rack that I tried to get, but it wasn't yet available in the USA. This is the rack that attaches directly to the bumper without the addition of an expensive hitch.

Attachments

Any idea how much it sells for in Europe?
Within the X3 accessories brochure you will find the rear mount bike rack that I tried to get, but it wasn't yet available in the USA.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.