BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've researched (too) many HD threads in the last few days, but opinions on this particular combo have been a little lean, so just putting the question out there for those who've tried it:

=> 540 w/stock springs (non-lowered, non-sport), stock 16” wheels, WITH Bilstein HD’s

Do you like the ride/handling with HD's, or would you recommend going with something else?

Thanks

· Registered
6,964 Posts
The HDs are usually matched to the sport springs but I would imagine that they are also compatible with the normal ones, too. A longer spring would mean less chance of bottoming out.

I would seriously consider the Koni yellows, too. While Bilsteins have always been considered one of the premium damper brands, it seems the last few years quality has gone done a bit. I am referring to the clunking issue that many have experienced. While it only happens occasionally, I am sure that if it happens to you, you would be VERY disappointed. The only thing worse than redoing a suspension job is to PAY someone else to redo a suspension job.

· Registered
94 Posts
I put Bilstein HDs in my 540 a couple of years ago, stock springs, and the only complaint I have is that they were a bit stiff in below-freezing weather (less than 20 degrees F) for the first winter. Other than that they have been great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.