BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in the product selector for Bilstein it offers B6 for standard suspension and B8 for vehicles with sport suspension. Slightly unclear on this. My 335i does not have the sport suspension package but is there anything preventing me from changing out all four shocks to Bilstein B8? Dont understand the differences.

Thx

·
Registered
55 Posts
I see in the product selector for Bilstein it offers B6 for standard suspension and B8 for vehicles with sport suspension. Slightly unclear on this. My 335i does not have the sport suspension package but is there anything preventing me from changing out all four shocks to Bilstein B8? Dont understand the differences.

Thx
My 2010 e90 with sports suspension has designated the b8
I bought them but haven't fitted them just yet
They were 2.5 times the price

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am only going by the vin build options. The 335i I didnt NOT purchase listed MSports Suspension as a build item via the vin decoder. Mine has no such listing. That is all I am going by.

·
Registered
905 Posts
While some members swear that ALL 335 RWD cars of ALL years come with the 'sport' suspension (based on sales literature), I suggest you go by the VIN decode to find your actual build. Are you sure you don't have S704 listed? Did you try a look up on more then 1 decoder? Usually the suspension is on the 2nd sheet of the decode.

The next option would be to talk with a Bilstein reseller; Turner, ECS who have a direct link to the manufacturer. They won't steer you wrong, it's their reputation. Another 'hint' may be to check your ride height.

I'd go the reseller route. Many offer complete 'refresh' kits with all normal wear components. Nice to have everything in 1 box and not having to order and wait for something you overlooked.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yes. But can I put the B8 on my non sports suspension 335i?
Bilstein makes two versions of it's shocks/struts for many vehicles...one for standard suspensions and one for "sport suspensions" that lower the car 1" or so....I'd check with Bilstein USA website tech support...:thumbup:

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,622 Posts
I see in the product selector for Bilstein it offers B6 for standard suspension and B8 for vehicles with sport suspension. ... Dont understand the differences.
The valving of the B8 is tuned to provide firmer damping and is optimized for the reduced suspension travel associated with shorter, stiffer springs. They are not well-matched to non-sport suspensions and may yield a choppy, over-damped ride.

The B6 is not as firm as the B8; it is tuned to accommodate the longer travel of softer base springs while also offering adequate damping for the stiffer sport springs. The overall ride quality will be firmer than stock but not uncomfortably so.

I did a ton of research on Bilstein B6/B8 and competing products when designing the suspension for my 330Ci, to the extent of having fairly detailed discussions with owners of each. The consensus was that when Bilstein recommends the B8 for "sport suspension" they really mean aftermarket sport suspensions with lowering springs. No stock suspension--sport or not--actually requires the B8. You can fit B8s if you really want to punish yourself; however, unless you live where the roads are billiard-table smooth, you probably want the B6.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 2010 e90 with sports suspension has designated the b8
I bought them but haven't fitted them just yet
They were 2.5 times the price

Bilstiens B8 now fitted. They ARE hard.
If you have rough roads don't use them.
Our roads are so so ,just get away with it.
It corners flat as
At nearly 3 times the price and another $350 to fit it is an expensive upgrade
Will wait to see

·
Registered
55 Posts
B8 changeover on fronts definitely noticable,even though I had Motorsport suspension from factory, very flat handling,but hard ride on less than perfect surfaces.
OP comments relevant re: "make sure that's what you want"
I won't be putting rear shocks to B8 for that reason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts