Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a couple of you are thinking of buying them on the Hack group buy. Just wanted to report my experiences / give my review so you know what you'd be getting.

The install was done by Premier Autoworks, if you're in the greater Seattle area, call and ask for Vincent. They got me in the same day I called, got it done fast, did excellent work and best of all their shop rates are good.

Previously, I'd heard some people saying that bilstein sports are harsh and that they'd raise a previously lowered car. I purchased from shox.com and talking to them they said not to re-install the oem bump stop as bilstein has internal bump stops. This may or may not be the cause of harshness complaints, or it could be because the convertibles are heavier, or maybe my butt's just numb. To me the ride is the same as my friend's sport package 330i.

Previously with the oem sport package shocks on H&R 29484s, the ride was floaty, bouncy and felt out of control. Pretty much in the first mile of driving I noticed a big difference. The difference was in what I *couldn't* feel. No more bounce, no more harsh thumping, and surprisingly no more bump steer. I don't find the ride harsh at all, in fact I was almost disappointed by how soft it was since I was expecting it to be so hard. If Koni's are softer, the ride with them must be super smooth.

Raised my car up maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. Enough to make a tiny visual difference if you knew what to look for. Not sure why. :dunno:

However, something I didn't think about, not having the oem bump stops, I now no longer have dust boots since they mount to the bump stops. Anybody know how critical dust boots are?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Raised my car up maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. Enough to make a tiny visual difference if you knew what to look for.
Damn... I love Bilsteins (had them in my last car) but if even the "Sport" raises the car, then I don't think I'd like that.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, guess I didn't make that very clear. There's some issue where a few people with H&R lowering springs had their car raise back up almost to oem sport package height after installing the Bilstein Sport shocks. My car went up by a miniscule amount. Which is perfectly fine by me, the car's almost still too low for my tastes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts