BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need new struts and mounts. Is Bilstein better than Sachs? I prefer the comfort ride over the speedy performance, though it's always enjoyable every now and then, right? :D

But I like cruising and don't race or go crazy. Just like a nice drive. Would Bilsteins be better? Or are there other, better alternatives?

Edit: I do have new 18 tires if that makes any difference..

·
Registered
2009 BMW 550i
515 Posts
You will get arguments both ways in terms of which is better. If you're looking at Bilstein, be aware that they offer several levels of quality and damping.....the B4 is OEM replacement; the B6 and B8 are firmer than stock.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I replaced stock Sachs with....Sachs. I was fine with the ride as it was.

Get Lemfoerder shock mounts. OEM.

Doing the struts kind of sucked. Longer than I expected, mostly because getting the strut assy out of the wheelwell was a bitch.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Sachs. Bilstein B4s are built to the price point they sell for.

If you put spring compressor on the spring while it's in the wheel well, it's easier to remove it from the car and vice versa. It gives just enough clearance.

Another trick is to take everything to a shop for assembly. The BMW springs are a PITA to compress enough to get them to fit the strut.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
Sachs are the OEM. I went with Bilstein and wish I hadn't. I prefer the comfort ride too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I like to curse every now and then myself.....
Haha, have to love auto correct, huh?

You will get arguments both ways in terms of which is better. If you're looking at Bilstein, be aware that they offer several levels of quality and damping.....the B4 is OEM replacement; the B6 and B8 are firmer than stock.
I like the comfort over everything and they will already suffice for the speeds I drive - rarely ever go over 80 unless there***8217;s that one guy who thinks he***8217;s cool by trying to block me in...

You think B6 would be nice? Sachs are OEM so I can guess what that feels like but I don***8217;t know about bilstein, just know propels talk about it a lot. Plus it***8217;s only a few bucks over.

I replaced stock Sachs with....Sachs. I was fine with the ride as it was.

Get Lemfoerder shock mounts. OEM.

Doing the struts kind of sucked. Longer than I expected, mostly because getting the strict assy out of the wheelwell was a bitch.
I***8217;m probably having a ship put them in. I know the springs or coils require the compressor I believe which I don***8217;t have. Plus the only thing I***8217;ve done so far myself are filters and an oil change :eek:

I am getting Lemfoerder mounts as those are OEM. Do I need anything else besides that?
I also see that the locking nut isn***8217;t included but can***8217;t seem to find it on FCPEuro..

Sachs. Bilstein B4s are built to the price point they sell for.

If you put spring compressor on the spring while it's in the wheel well, it's easier to remove it from the car and vice versa. It gives just enough clearance.

Another trick is to take everything to shop for assembly. The BMW springs are a PITA to compress enough to get them to fit the strut.
I won***8217;t DIY it. Maybe next time, though..

And yeah, I was wondering about that. Less than half the price of Sachs and the B6. It***8217;s OEM, though, isn***8217;t it? The B4s. I see Sachs and B4 showing up as OEM.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Haha, have to love auto correct,.......

The B4s. I see Sachs and B4 showing up as OEM.
The B4s "meet" the OEM specifications.

Don't expect that they will last and good luck with a warranty claim.

B6 and B8 are whole other ball game.

This from my local supplier who sells Bilstein as a standard offering for European cars......

·
Registered
397 Posts
I replaced my non-sport suspension struts all around with Bilstein B4. That was 2 years ago, no problems to report. It takes a week to break them in, the first week you'll think they are harder than OEM but after a while they soften up. Also the car may sit a little hgher for a week or more, then come down.

PS: have your suspension arm bushings checked, see if they need replacing so you can know it all out at once and not have to do extra work in the future. I didn't and know I need to pay the labor and get the thing aligned again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The B4s "meet" the OEM specifications.

Don't expect that they will last and good luck with a warranty claim.

B6 and B8 are whole other ball game.

This from my local supplier who sells Bilstein as a standard offering for European cars......
Ok so Sachs or B6 then..

I replaced my non-sport suspension struts all around with Bilstein B4. That was 2 years ago, no problems to report. It takes a week to break them in, the first week you'll think they are harder than OEM but after a while they soften up. Also the car may sit a little hgher for a week or more, then come down.

PS: have your suspension arm bushings checked, see if they need replacing so you can know it all out at once and not have to do extra work in the future. I didn't and know I need to pay the labor and get the thing aligned again.
yeah my guy said I need bushings anyway so I'll order those also. I'll double check if I need ball joints or tie rods. But I know just sway bar, lower control arms and struts and shocks.

Hmm, I'm tempted to get the B6 but I do t want to regret it so I may just go with Sachs.

·
Registered
2009 BMW 550i
515 Posts
The B6 are definitely firmer than OEM. I know that Koni offers their FSD shocks and struts that supposedly offer a good blend of comfort with control, but they don't appear to be available for xi models. So if comfort is paramount, the Sachs should likely be your pick over Bilstein B6. I know when the time comes for me, I'll probably go for the B8's (or the KW v3 coilovers if my lottery numbers come up).

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
Want to go a bit firmer get the Msport shocks from Sachs. My car is lowered on Eibach springs and i got BOGE M-Sport shock replacements (same product, different name) they ride great and they are just a bit firmer than the stocks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Want to go a bit firmer get the Msport shocks from Sachs. My car is lowered on Eibach springs and i got BOGE M-Sport shock replacements (same product, different name) they ride great and they are just a bit firmer than the stocks.
I want a softer ride, though. I work in NYC and driving there is like having a drunk chauffeur drive you off road. You have to swerve over the literal sink holes in the ground while the rest of the road is jump bumpy and horrible.

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
I want a softer ride, though. I work in NYC and driving there is like having a drunk chauffeur drive you off road. You have to swerve over the literal sink holes in the ground while the rest of the road is jump bumpy and horrible.
Apologies i messed up who the OP was hehe best comfort is definitely going to be stock Sachs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apologies i messed up who the OP was hehe best comfort is definitely going to be stock Sachs.
Ok, thanks! And I would,have to buy mounts I'm guessing. They need washers and gaskets? For the struts I see a mount washer and gasket but I don't see it for the shocks.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
MAKE SURE you reinstall all the washers around the mount and strut top. Particularly the big one; it's a dirt protector, mostly.

It's a real aw**** when you find it sitting on the bench at the end. :mad::mad:

:angel:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MAKE SURE you reinstall all the washers around the mount and strut top. Particularly the big one; it's a dirt protector, mostly.

It's a real aw**** when you find it sitting on the bench at the end. :mad::mad:

:angel:
So reuse current ones or buy new ones?

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Current ones are fine. Just make sure you use 'em.....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts