BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
What a thread! Just what I was looking for

Where does sachs advantage and sachs supertouring fall when compared to b4 and b6?

Also which springs would you recommend for a comfy but solid ride? Really don't want to lose the soft ride quality here. But also could benefit from a bit of shoving...

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2001 325i sedan 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
437 Posts
What are the Sachs super touring? Is this something that's just in Europe? In North America our E61's don't have many options since they all have xDrive and air suspension in the rear. When I look up Sachs there is always only one model.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Stock springs for comfort, if you have to replace them. Eibach or others if you don't mind rattling your teeth.

Don't know about the other Sachs offerings as we don't see them here in North America. Possible marketing bumpf?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,163 Posts
Anyone specify springs based on actual spring rates, etc?

Or we just go with a vendor name ("sachs, something that fits an E70") to define all that??

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Anyone specify springs based on actual spring rates, etc?

Or we just go with a vendor name ("sachs, something that fits an E70") to define all that??
Unless you know of a way to get the specs on the springs, including the OE, which is a variable rate spring, how else are we to know what's going to work?

Sometimes you have to take it on faith that the manufacturer actually knows what they are doing or go with a set up that gives infinite adjustability, in which case, you will probably spend more time under the car than in it actually driving.

·
Under the lift arms
13,091 Posts
you want to make a bmw in to race car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Me? Not at all. Daily driver with a baby seat in the back. I also want to go back to stock height. As there are eibachs on it at the moment and no SLS
I really can't tell but it's is a bit spongy. I think the front left gave out.

Im now leaning towards sachs sports struts. Are these a direct bolt on? I wonder if I need to change a few parts in the stock setup to make these fit. I think they're what's on the m5.

So in the end. Sachs sports struts with stock touring springs is my wish.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,163 Posts

·
Under the lift arms
13,091 Posts
nope... its not until you switch to hd's, urethane and drilled rotors does your vin change to include "race car" package

I do it with the baby seat in the car.... I dont know... guess sub par builds are acceptable to some

where is that thread where i walked H.F thru his build ?
*He went even more full send then I do... His whip was track status...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I bought Bilstein B4 shocks for our 2008 535xi. I think they are slightly firmer than the factory Sachs. I'd probably buy the Sachs if I was going to do it again. It's not a pretty job on the xi so I haven't changed them. After a year or two the ride is somewhat better.

·
Premium Member
2001 325i sedan 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
437 Posts
I bought Bilstein B4 shocks for our 2008 535xi. I think they are slightly firmer than the factory Sachs. I'd probably buy the Sachs if I was going to do it again. It's not a pretty job on the xi so I haven't changed them. After a year or two the ride is somewhat better.
What do you think makes the xi more difficult? The addition of front half-shafts? Or something different?

·
Registered
348 Posts
What do you think makes the xi more difficult? The addition of front half-shafts? Or something different?
Yes, the half-shafts mostly. The wheel needs to be pulled off to get the shock out and in. BMW put the locking nut on to say. Shade tree mechanics like me don't do that stuff often. The BMW nut is heavy duty. Bending the tab things takes work.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I managed to do mine without doing any of that. I kept a spring compressor in place on the struts and had an extra pair of hands to help pull down.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts