BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Realtor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its finally time to bite the bullet and replace struts/shocks. I plan to use the Bilsteins Sports on my factory Sport suspension but I've seen some conflicting information. I even searched the Bilstein site and could not find anything. Are you supposed to use the bump stops with Bilstein shocks? Do they have internal bump stops? Anyone in the WV, MD or NoVA area want to have a little fun working on my car? lol

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
No bump stops and no rubber boots. The Bilsteins come with Rubber boot (I mentioned this in my DIY below):
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399580

"Rubber Boot for Strut......31331091868.........$2.35.......x2.......$4. 70
(Bilstein had its own Rubber Boot and Internal Stopper, so no need to buy Rubber Boot for Strut if you use Bilstein)
"

I will ask Jared at EACTuning (he is the Bilstein expert!) to chime in.

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
Virtually All Bilstein Struts come with Internal Bump Stop, located at the bottom of the Bilstein Strut (front strut only).

To give you an idea of what Bilstein Internal Bump Stop looks like, some people remove the Internal BumpStop when using lowered springs (from Subaru forums):
http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99244

Pesonally I don't recommend removing the Internal Bump Stop (this was not your question anyway) as this will definitely void your warranty.

Back to your original question: I guess you can put a bump stop like the stock setup but it is NOT needed.
(Bump Stop is kind of last line of defence when you hit a very deep pot holes, the strut punches the bump stop rather than punches the car strut tower with full force).

·
Registered
575 Posts
There are an occasional shock/strut that comes without the internal bump stop. Sometimes Bilstein even recommends a trimmed bump stop just to help support their internal. The only real way to find out is to call them and make sure to tell them what kind of springs you are running and what type of drop they provide.

Thanks
Jared

·
Conservative Modder
206 Posts
The fronts come with internal bump stops and the rears don't. I have no idea why!

·
Realtor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. This place is such a wealth of information!!!

·
Conservative Modder
206 Posts

·
Realtor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jared, Can you confirm that the front struts come with boots?

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
There you go with those Sigs and Avatars....
LOVE IT!
:)
I think there are internal bump stops only on the front struts...
Jason, I think you were distracted by her black leather sandals! My comment was not about the bump stops but the rubber boot (blue boot in CN90's picture):

My HDs did not come with the piston boot as i don't believe the HDs come with them (at least for the V8s) so I reused my old black rubber boots.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts