BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, hoping for some feedback, positive or negative,
I am looking to have my hood and trunk wraped, as a cheaper alternative to paint.
My buddy has a wrap company so cost is not an issue with this.
My 540 is black, but the hood clear coat is going and there are lots of road chips...my trunk is better but the rust is creeping under the lip....so plan is to remove and rust then wrap.

Here is my question, what in your opinion would look better, a Matte or Gloss Carbon Fiber?
I''ve attached pics of my car....let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Gloss .................... blind the hell out of oncoming traffic.
Matte .................... see where you're actually going.

Personally I like gloss. Please keep us posted as to what the wrap holds up like if you go through a car wash

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I just want which one will look less "cheap" if that is even possible...I only hand wash but will for sure let you know how it goes. I was leaning towards gloss as well...maybe in grey CF?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Your friend will have a better idea as to what looks less cheap. Depending on where the rust is, you could put a M band across the offcenter midline of the car. It would look appropriate and not blind people. Europeans or racers usually wrap their cars for design purposes. You have to really clay bar clean the hell out of it before wrapping.

I know that's not helpful, but honestly the best person to know is the guy that does it all day. Ask him what the normal applications are for high end cars like lambo, ferrari, etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya dig the bands. But my rust is on trunk lid not hood or roof. Hood just has some peeling clear.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I recall the earliest M's stripe going from trunk to front bumper. But you know where the rust is, so if its a no-go, then a full tape is gonna be whats needed. Just be mindful of the glare. Its no joke. And the only guy that can give you a decent opinion on that is the guy that does it 5 times day and has to follow up on the customers bitching at him.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya? Good to know. I think I'll go with matte then. As my paint is not new I assume the contrast with a cf gloss would be huge. I want as low key as possible. Thanks for the tips

1 - 7 of 7 Posts