Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
I love Adam and that show. The real question is "is Kit a man or a woman"? Seriously, I bought an energizer brand charger for my Iphone and IPad. For a year or better it worked great. It has two ports and charges my phone faster than the little Apple white box. Out of nowhere a few days ago I plugged it in and it said "this device is not compatible". WTFudge? these things will start occurring more and more. I am OK with it if it was that way when I bought it but it wasnt. I mean, if I buy something right now, its my decision to research how they do business and make an informed decision. However, things have changed dramatically since I bought into Apple years ago. To that point, they should offer me my money back. Its no different then them somehow snapping their finger and changing my phone from black to pink. It changes details that led me to buy their item. I should have the right to a refund. Buuuuuuuutttt..not gonna happen. How is this related to BMW? Well, from the delphi coils to the aftermarket window seal to the non BMW DISA I just bought. thankfully, there doesnt seem to be a practical way for them to "update" my CPU to make any of my current parts not work. LOL, hopefully at least my windshield molding would be safe. I agree though...its coming very soon. I wouldnt want this BMW if I had to pay dealer prices for parts or labor. I find little value in the premium cost for the vast majority of wear and tear parts on a BMW and surely dont need the $100+ an hour mechanic to do things like change a headlight bulb.

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Coverup of VW deadly fumes... little over the top there.

Good thing my 3 yr old phone is the only modern piece of “smart” crap in my household and I could easily deal without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love Adam and that show. The real question is "is Kit a man or a woman"? Seriously, I bought an energizer brand charger for my Iphone and IPad. For a year or better it worked great. It has two ports and charges my phone faster than the little Apple white box. Out of nowhere a few days ago I plugged it in and it said "this device is not compatible". WTFudge? these things will start occurring more and more. I am OK with it if it was that way when I bought it but it wasnt. I mean, if I buy something right now, its my decision to research how they do business and make an informed decision. However, things have changed dramatically since I bought into Apple years ago. To that point, they should offer me my money back. Its no different then them somehow snapping their finger and changing my phone from black to pink. It changes details that led me to buy their item. I should have the right to a refund. Buuuuuuuutttt..not gonna happen. How is this related to BMW? Well, from the delphi coils to the aftermarket window seal to the non BMW DISA I just bought. thankfully, there doesnt seem to be a practical way for them to "update" my CPU to make any of my current parts not work. LOL, hopefully at least my windshield molding would be safe. I agree though...its coming very soon. I wouldnt want this BMW if I had to pay dealer prices for parts or labor. I find little value in the premium cost for the vast majority of wear and tear parts on a BMW and surely dont need the $100+ an hour mechanic to do things like change a headlight bulb.
You got it ! You took the words out of my mouth!
And you experienced this "reversed piracy" first hand...what becomes of the charger now?

06 X3 199k
05 X3 181k
04 X3 162k

·
Registered
362 Posts
You got it ! You took the words out of my mouth!
And you experienced this "reversed piracy" first hand...what becomes of the charger now?

06 X3 199k
05 X3 181k
04 X3 162k
funny! Ive got chargers from 15 years ago for like Blackberrys and Nokia flip phones. I find it hard to throw that type of stuff out so it goes into a box in the garage of miscellaneous electronic cords, chargers, batteries and soforth. I bet most "car guys" have similar boxes...its in the blood I think . I literally have no use for that charger with the items I currently own. I think "ownership" is turning into an archaic word...we all barrow things, rent or license but we dont really own much. At my job we looked into buying a company that makes therapy eye masks. You know, the kind of mask you put into a microwave to warm up and it helps with MGD, blepheristis, dry eye and the likes. We wanted one we could acquire and manufacture ourselves. There were several we scouted. The "big dog" on the block has one many liked but I was very against. The reason was that the mask required the purchase of a patented "disposable cover". So once the mask was bought, the patient had to buy these covers over and over. They built a commodity into the design. I hate that. The REAL cost of ownership over the course of a year for a patient in need was nearly 5X the purchase cost of the mask. Thankfully, my bean counters listened up top and we went with a mask that has a "washable" cover. Giddyup! No added cost to the end user nor any proprietary BS that would compel a patient to discontinue therapeutic use. Its all related. I think 20 years ago this was looked upon as smart business. I think today with the advent of such wide availability to independent reviews (lol...Social Media), companies that are doing this are becoming villains. Hopefully the masses turn away from products that are trying to be "slick" with the people who are loyal to them. The moment a car maker says you gotta come in once a month for a "flash" on your CPU in order to keep the warranty valid is the day I start riding a ten speed.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Every time I get a new laptop computer with a new version of Windows, the new drivers for my existing HP printer/scanner/copier/fax and my high-resolution scanner have less functionality. The high-resolution scanner is now "no longer supported." That means it works fine, but I'd need a computer from the early 2000's with a driver from the early 2000's. I don't buy H-P stuff anymore.

There's a law that automobile manufacturers must make repair manuals available to consumers and independent repair shops. BMW does that by subscriptions to their on-line electronic tech' manuals. The last times I bought non-BMW's were in 2005 and 2007 (Honda and Chevy). I was able to buy paper, factory shop manuals for those cars.

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
funny! Ive got chargers from 15 years ago for like Blackberrys and Nokia flip phones. I find it hard to throw that type of stuff out so it goes into a box in the garage of miscellaneous electronic cords, chargers, batteries and soforth. I bet most "car guys" have similar boxes...its in the blood I think . I literally have no use for that charger with the items I currently own. I think "ownership" is turning into an archaic word...we all barrow things, rent or license but we dont really own much. At my job we looked into buying a company that makes therapy eye masks. You know, the kind of mask you put into a microwave to warm up and it helps with MGD, blepheristis, dry eye and the likes. We wanted one we could acquire and manufacture ourselves. There were several we scouted. The "big dog" on the block has one many liked but I was very against. The reason was that the mask required the purchase of a patented "disposable cover". So once the mask was bought, the patient had to buy these covers over and over. They built a commodity into the design. I hate that. The REAL cost of ownership over the course of a year for a patient in need was nearly 5X the purchase cost of the mask. Thankfully, my bean counters listened up top and we went with a mask that has a "washable" cover. Giddyup! No added cost to the end user nor any proprietary BS that would compel a patient to discontinue therapeutic use. Its all related. I think 20 years ago this was looked upon as smart business. I think today with the advent of such wide availability to independent reviews (lol...Social Media), companies that are doing this are becoming villains. Hopefully the masses turn away from products that are trying to be "slick" with the people who are loyal to them. The moment a car maker says you gotta come in once a month for a "flash" on your CPU in order to keep the warranty valid is the day I start riding a ten speed.
Right on the money!
Good to know companies like yours still exist and looking out for the loyal consumer. Sadly I'm aware that there will come a time they will become extinct along with hotdogs, apple pie and CHEVY!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts