Bimmerfest BMW banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Trend Setter!
977 Posts
Yes, really. He said there were too my BMWs & MBs where he lived. He knew about the poor reliability but chose to get one anyway.
That explains. Those are the types of people who buy Jags then, I guess.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Given the take rate on MTs whether the Jag comes with a manual or not will probably be irrelevant to sales numbers. I would guess that the number of sales lost to BMW due to the lack of an MT will be quite small.

CA
Yup, it might matter to a few of us but not to the overall market.

I hope it has some of the rawness that is in the F-Type.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Jaguar resale vale
Jaguar unreliable records

I stick with bmw

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Looking forward to a full report Dave. Lucky bastard.
...will do soon. ...and will try to add value to what isn't published out there already. The BBC News link in post #20 of this thread has the Jaguar press release photos.

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
Dave20T,

I'm looking forward to reading your report. :thumbup:

The latest numbers show Android has grown to an 84.6% market share vs. 11.9% for Apple. If Jag were to dominate the 3er in the same manner, then I would think it is safe to say the 3 killer had finally arrived. Given Jag's history, I doubt this will be the case.

I don't want to get into a religious debate here, but have you seen the chart that typically accompanies that one with share of profit by Manufacturer?

Depending on who you ask, Apple gets somewhere between 70% and and 87% of the profits for the smartphone market...

Android commands its share because it's free and anyone can stick it on anything. That's also why the app ecosystem is a complete mess. Every manufacturer except for Apple and Samsung (who gets a tiny portion of the $$$) is bleeding money.

Note - couldn't find the recent spread of those charts this early on a saturday morning, but this chart gets the point across.

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The homework, a report on the XE, has been posted as a new thread. Tim requested a new thread rather than burying the report in this thread.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Jaguar resale vale
Jaguar unreliable records

I stick with bmw
http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/2014-Vehicle-Dependability-Study-Press-Release.htm

The fact is Jaguar kicks BMW's butt in initial quality and is statistically identical to BMW in reliability, but don't let facts get in the way of your biased opinion.

Jaguar reliability has been on a steady upward trend since being bought by Tata and will no doubt continue to improve. Soon they will be competing with Lexus and Toyota for the top spot.

You and clueless are both incorrect about Jaguar quality and are just simply biased BMW fanboi's.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Given the take rate on MTs whether the Jag comes with a manual or not will probably be irrelevant to sales numbers. I would guess that the number of sales lost to BMW due to the lack of an MT will be quite small.

CA
Everything I've read about the new Jag says no manual transmission will be offered.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Everything I've read about the new Jag says no manual transmission will be offered.
And my point is that if that is the case the impact on sales will be minimal.

CA

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
You and clueless are both incorrect about Jaguar quality and are just simply biased BMW fanboi's.
I haven't really researched Jaguar myself. I was going by what the friend told me. This was the pre-Tata days and he said something to the effect that these cars should be sold with a mechanic.

I must admit, though, that I'm a bit of a fanboi albeit a slightly disappointed one.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I haven't really researched Jaguar myself. I was going by what the friend told me. This was the pre-Tata days and he said something to the effect that these cars should be sold with a mechanic.

I must admit, though, that I'm a bit of a fanboi albeit a slightly disappointed one.
One of my uncles owned a Jaguar XKE back in the day (he called it a cat hearse, since it looked like one) and he said that when he pulled into gas stations (back before self-serve), he would tell the attendant to fill up the oil and check the gas. Sometimes that blue exhaust obscured the view of the car entirely, as it tore off, up the road.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
One of my uncles owned a Jaguar XKE back in the day (he called it a cat hearse, since it looked like one) and he said that when he pulled into gas stations (back before self-serve), he would tell the attendant to fill up the oil and check the gas. Sometimes that blue exhaust obscured the view of the car entirely, as it tore off, up the road.
It's amazing people base their opinion on facts that existed 30-40 years ago. Ford really turned around quality at Jaguar and Tata is taking it to another level. I spent $0 out of warranty on my Jaguar, my BMW has been a money pit.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
It's amazing people base their opinion on facts that existed 30-40 years ago. Ford really turned around quality at Jaguar and Tata is taking it to another level. I spent $0 out of warranty on my Jaguar, my BMW has been a money pit.

I spent zero out of warranty on several Jaguars and warranty repairs were minimal and nothing ever left the car incapacitated. Our last Jag, an XKR, was IMO in many ways a better engineered car than my 335i and was the interior was much higher quality although to be fair it was almost twice the price of the 335, My 335i has been very reliable once I redid the suspension and it stopped eating tires and rims.

I don't know of any recent Jaguar that had issues on the scale of the BMW HPFP problem.

CA

41 - 59 of 59 Posts