BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
^yup, it's me^
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goes to Jon Shafer while talking to a uniformed California Highway Patrolman who wandered in (Uh huh) to a then empty post road rally showroom...

"Racing? No. We did have a few people here, and we went for a short drive."

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Way to go Jon!!! (how does he do that with a straight face?)

Thanks for a great day!!!

Can't wait to see the DTM videos.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
:lmao: :lmao:

Well, there wasn't any "racing," per se...

But there were definitely more than a few people, and it was more than a short drive!

And my speed beep (set to 95) went off more than once...

Damn, that was fun. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Actually, there was some kind of a "drag thing" going on at the T-junction, shortly after the main crowd went for the rally. A couple of BMWs were screeching their tires while the light went green. Totally ruthless and careless, self-centered bunch of maggots. :thumbdwn: There were pple test driving other cars across the dealership. Not surprised that the CHP dropped by later.

Take the drags to the tracks.

CaliJeff said:
Goes to Jon Shafer while talking to a uniformed California Highway Patrolman who wandered in (Uh huh) to a then empty post road rally showroom...

"Racing? No. We did have a few people here, and we went for a short drive."

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Way to go Jon!!! (how does he do that with a straight face?)

Thanks for a great day!!!

Can't wait to see the DTM videos.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I wished I had it all on video too. Lin and I witnessed two accounts of two BMWs doing that. At one point, 2 female drivers were testing a corolla from across the street. I am pretty sure they were in shock.

There is a piece of evidence actually. Someone DID film it down at the junction.

Plaz said:
Oh... thankfully, I missed that stupidity.

·
^yup, it's me^
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Bimmerfest understatement of the day

VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Actually, there was some kind of a "drag thing" going on at the T-junction, shortly after the main crowd went for the rally. A couple of BMWs were screeching their tires while the light went green. Totally ruthless and careless, self-centered bunch of maggots. :thumbdwn: There were pple test driving other cars across the dealership. Not surprised that the CHP dropped by later.

Take the drags to the tracks.

I must say that I was one of the first out of the lot for the rally. I missed those indiscretions at the T-junction and I'm sure Jon did too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
**What did the CHP say?**

s

·
^yup, it's me^
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't privvy to the entire exchange, I was walking by when I overheard that comment by Jon.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Ack!

It's self-centered people like that who ultimately ruin the fun for everyone. Come on folks, where is your common sense? This will only make the CHP worse next year, and if enough of the residents of SB were bothered by the fest attendees this year they might take it up with the city and put an end to the whole event.

Perhaps it would be wise to rent a track for the day to accomodate the people that feel like they need to prove themselves.

--SONET

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Well, that was a LOT of people and a LOT of cars. Many thanks to the Cutter family, Jon Shafer and his staff, and everyone else involved in pulling this off. As others have already mentioned, there were a few who inevitably decide to be a little less than mature, but overall, people seemed pretty well-mannered, especially during the rally, which had the potential of being a huge mess, especially with the number of cars involved.

Did anyone ever get a good count of cars that went on that? I was hearing numbers like 160 being thrown around over the radio. :yikes:

It was definitely a showcase day for E46M3s, and there were several I've seen at other events that didn't make it today. If you own a M3 and needed ideas to mess with your ride, it was probably there to see.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your soo right SONET, this city is full of people (more)

who love to start debates!

Example of past city debates:

One restaurant sign had a sign with a waitress(50s style), then
One of our infamous committees said her skirt was too short.

one year, one of our city high schools wanted to ban a Chicano studies book. Another time one high school had string of hate crimes

just recently the sign committee rejected a Santa Barbara city college sign, that just wasnt "too santa barbara like"

and right now the city is involved with a discrimination suit filed by two women. (Police dept.)

Im telling you, with this city be careful.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
I have friends that live in SB and I have heard many stories similar to the ones you just mentioned, which is what brought me to post what I did.

It seems as though the politically active residents in SB don't have enough to worry about... so 'little' things tend to become big issues and they make it a point to tackle them.

If the problems were widespread and the local paper publishes a negative article on Bimmerfest 02, or if enough people complained to the city, the itinerary for Bimmerfest might look really different next year. It sounds like most people that attended acted responsibly, so I really hope this doesn't happen. :tsk:

--SONET

1 - 13 of 13 Posts