BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bird Droppings etched my paint right below the passenger side mirror - by the time I got home and washed it off, it appears to have permanently "bubbled" the paint :cry: - I couldn't get it off with any normal or strong cleansers.

Any tips? The car came with a small paint blemish on the trunk lid and the dealer had someone called paint magician or something like that fix it - no sign of anything. Maybe I get those guys to clean it up.

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
stevepow said:
Bird Droppings etched my paint right below the passenger side mirror - by the time I got home and washed it off, it appears to have permanently "bubbled" the paint :cry: - I couldn't get it off with any normal or strong cleansers.

Any tips? The car came with a small paint blemish on the trunk lid and the dealer had someone called paint magician or something like that fix it - no sign of anything. Maybe I get those guys to clean it up.
Steve,

I've never heard of it "bubbling" the paint....... but we all have felt your pain at some time. I would suggest searching the Detailing Forum... your question has been asked many many times... use "search"....... :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bubbled the paint!!?

stevepow said:
Bird Droppings etched my paint right below the passenger side mirror - by the time I got home and washed it off, it appears to have permanently "bubbled" the paint .....
Bubbled!! Are you sure that was bird droppings?!

Z

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I see this all the time with bird droppings. I wouldn't say bubble but a small ripple or to that affect. Usually when you wipe off dried bird droppings and get it all off if you look closely there will be some ripple or a wrinkle if you may on the paint.

·
Registered
40 Posts
autopia.com man

·
Registered
720 Posts
Next time, Zaino your car (or put any good wax on it) and catch the bird poop early, it will prevent it from doing permanent damage :thumbup:

Good luck with getting it fixed. I'd take it to a detail guy.
JL

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah, I was going to mention if you have yet waxed your car. If so, then no problem. The wax would've kept it from the paint but like Jlevi said, wipe the poopy real fast.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Does it look sort of like a spot of water that has dried on the paint finish after you wiped off the bird-poop? That's how it usually is for my car with bird dropping. If so, maybe this will work: First, try polishing the area robustly with Klasse AIO. If that doesn't work, then maybe try using some Meguiar X on that spot. Put some of that stuff on the spot, then using a microfiber cloth wrapped over your forefinger, really give it a good rubbing down. You may have to do this a few times, but Meguiar won't damage your clearcoat or paint, so it'll be ok. Once done, clean the area with the Klasse AIO, and then put a layer of wax over the area. This process usually works for me for bird-dropping, tar spots, tree sap, etc, issues. Hope it's of help to you too.

cheers,
suntan

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I wish it looked like a water spot - it looks like little blisters - but it feels smooth to the touch - maybe that's good news? I'll give that a shot suntan....thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hmmm...do you have a Porter Cable? The people in the Details forum swear by it. (I don't have one myself.) Maybe if you polish using an orbiter, that might help (assuming the Meguiar X doesn't work). Anyway, hope you get the spot out; I completely sympathize with your situation; I really hate birds too! :)

cheers,
suntan

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Hi Steve,

Has your birds poop etching on your paint disappeared? I had some bird droppings on my hood sometime last week and I washed it off and similar to yours I had a etching of the bird droppings on the paint after washing. About a week later, the etch disappeared.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
Kzang said:
Hi Steve,

Has your birds poop etching on your paint disappeared? I had some bird droppings on my hood sometime last week and I washed it off and similar to yours I had a etching of the bird droppings on the paint after washing. About a week later, the etch disappeared.
In my experience it seems that exposure to strong sunlight and high temperatures actually allows the clearcoat to flow or lay down. Or something. I've noticed blemishes from birds or chemical residue deminishing over time. On the one hand it seems that a hot surface exacerbates the affect of the residue but then once cleaned allows some recovery. In the winter the low temperature of the surface seems to reduce the affect of any residue landing on the car. Maybe I'm just dreaming this but there is some logic.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
stevepow said:

From: http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/50A25A161A10.aspx

This site has some good solutions about Sap, Bird Poop, leaves etc.

"Bird droppings
Poop happens. It's unavoidable. But what makes things worse is that bird squirt contains some of the most acidic, abrasive, paint-eating substances that ever touch your vehicle. Right after impact, bird squeeze goes to work by eating away clear coat paint layers. If left to its own devices, a heavy splatter leaves a tasty outline and matching blisters or dimples in the paint surface. This repugnant damage is done in 48 hours or less after impact, so time is of the essence.

The solution:
As soon as the you-know-what hits the van, the clock is ticking. The second you pull into your drive at home, spot wash the area with cool water and car wash soap. This should head-off any noticeable damage. If you can't get home in time or have nowhere to wash at home, carrying a mobile kit that includes detailing spray and a paint-safe towel is the ideal stop-gap measure. You'll find carrying a kit like this can be the answer to combating many stain varieties other than droppings. If you were unable to head-off damage, careful paint repair may be in order, with steps as easy as light polish or as costly as professional paint repair. "

My current car is a G35 Sedan, but just the same, in the trunk I keep a micro-fiber cloth, a spay bottle with water and a little white vinager and Meguiar's NXT Quick Detailer. This process comes from the guy that details my car and its seems to work for me - YMMV.

I have to park in a lot for a commuter train so I always come back to some poop on the car. I spay the poop with the water to soften it up and wipe it off with a micro-fiber cloth. Once completely clean, I use the Meguiar's NXT Quick Detailer and a clean micro-fiber cloth. Once at home I have been able to rub it out with a clay bar and wax with a wax pad. Note, it takes time for the blemish to disappear. If you do not regularly wax your car -- good luck! If you wax on a regular basis, its not so bad to remove. I do agree with others, the heat and direct sunlight makes it worse.

Poop happens -- whatcha gonna do!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kzang said:
Hi Steve,

Wow - just got back from the Blue Ridge mountains in NC - car was a mess - washed it off today and...voila...they are gone. Amazing. :)

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Steve, good to hear. I got some bird-dropping etching on my 2001 530i. I just polished it a bit to soften the edges (I did this over time as I remembered to) and now it is hard to find but I know where/how to look to still see it. Near as I can tell, it just got the clear coat....

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
stevepow said:
Wow - just got back from the Blue Ridge mountains in NC - car was a mess - washed it off today and...voila...they are gone. Amazing. :)
:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bird bomb

My car was outside less than 2 hours today when I noticed a large splat on the hood; was able to easily clean it up without damage. However, an hour later noticed another smaller hit I'd missed before.:wailing: It was dry and stuck firmly to the paint. After soaking with water and car wash removed it, but it appears to have eaten through the clear coat down to the pigment.:mad: I guess I'll have to wait for my RO polisher to try fixing it. It just seemed too quick to do that much damage. Oh well, wish me luck.

Cheers.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,742 Posts
Wow: this thread was resurrected after 15 months! (Kind of like that weird Aunt you see every year at the holidays, then lose track of till next year).

Kudos to rolsonca, who has obviously discovered that "Search is your friend"!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts