Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, for the past month or so, my clutch has had this weird shudder in it when I depress it fully, especially in the first 3 gears under hard acceleration. Seems a number of others here have experienced the same.

Went up to Maine last weekend, and on the way back, noticed the weird shudder was gone! Completely gone. Car shifts smooth as cream, better than ever. Even has crisper engagement, doesn't feel vague or rubbery at all.

And it's no fluke - it's stayed this way all week. I'm very pleased that it "fixed" itself, but I'm also very curious to know what caused that weird shudder in the first place, and even more - what caused it to go away.

Only thing I can think of is that I do 90% highway driving, so I shift rarely, overall, and spend by far the most time in 5th gear. While in Maine, I flew down the backroads - mostly in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears, shifting frequently, lots of revs. Also, 2 of the 4 days the weather was crappy, and ran the AC all day. I also increased tire pressure to 35F/36R. But I was still getting the shudder....

Then on the way back, I got stuck behind a truck, which was crawling along. I downshifted to 2nd to pass - and nailed the throttle. Oops, redlined it! The rev limiter kicked in big time. It was then that I noticed something - the shudder was gone!

Weird - whats the connection? Is this just a fluke? Could that shudder just be the clutch going through some kind of adjustment?

Whichever, I'm glad it's gone. :thumb:

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
This "shudder" that you speak of... is it at the top or bottom of the pedal when you press it? What I mean is, does it occur when you put the clutch to the floor, or when you first depress the clutch?

I get this strange "pop" sensation from the pedal right before it engages, so I wanna know if it's the same as what you felt. It's an intermittent thing for me, and hasn't cured itself yet. Definitely going on the 30k inspection to-do list.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
webguy330i said:
This "shudder" that you speak of... is it at the top or bottom of the pedal when you press it? What I mean is, does it occur when you put the clutch to the floor, or when you first depress the clutch?

I get this strange "pop" sensation from the pedal right before it engages, so I wanna know if it's the same as what you felt. It's an intermittent thing for me, and hasn't cured itself yet. Definitely going on the 30k inspection to-do list.
Bottom of the pedal - when it's fully depressed to the floor. Supposedly the clutch is "self adjusting". Wonder if the pop has anything to do with that? The clutch on my VW GTI "creaked" - like a rusty door hinge.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
geomax said:

Bottom of the pedal - when it's fully depressed to the floor. Supposedly the clutch is "self adjusting". Wonder if the pop has anything to do with that? The clutch on my VW GTI "creaked" - like a rusty door hinge.
Precisely my thoughts... it makes for a very very quick clutch engagement when you least expect it, so the car pitches back and forth like I'm a 5spd newbie! :) Only occurs on occassion like I said, but it's extremely annoying.

My boss' 328ic has the ol' e36 squeaky clutch problem. =)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
webguy330i said:

Precisely my thoughts... it makes for a very very quick clutch engagement when you least expect it, so the car pitches back and forth like I'm a 5spd newbie! :) Only occurs on occassion like I said, but it's extremely annoying.

My boss' 328ic has the ol' e36 squeaky clutch problem. =)
I misread your post - I thought you actually heard a "pop", but I know the sensation you're speaking of - like the clutch engages all at once, there's no "slip" at all. Then you get this rubbery jolting or bouncing before it evens out. Yeah - hate that. It's almost like something gets a little stuck, then lets go late. That too is now gone.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
geomax said:

I misread your post - I thought you actually heard a "pop", but I know the sensation you're speaking of - like the clutch engages all at once, there's no "slip" at all. Then you get this rubbery jolting or bouncing before it evens out. Yeah - hate that. It's almost like something gets a little stuck, then lets go late. That too is now gone.
Ah sorry, I guess I was proposing a problem completely different than what you explained above. ;) But I'm still jealous (re: "That too is now gone.").

·
10,856 Posts
I found that if the clutch gets really grabby and difficult to control, a hard launch at about 3K RPMs will usually cure it. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I found that if the clutch gets really grabby and difficult to control, a hard launch at about 3K RPMs will usually cure it. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Yeah I noticed that too, although I doubt this will prolong the life of the clutch.

Kinda like deglazing the brake pads. =)

·
10,856 Posts
Yeah. Probably exactly like deglazing the brake pads. :p At least your clutch is cheaper than mine. :p

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Yeah. Probably exactly like deglazing the brake pads. :p At least your clutch is cheaper than mine. :p
Yeah but my car's a lease, I'm trying to pay for as little as possible! =D

Then again, knowing my service dept, I could probably get a clutch under warranty. Not really willing to test it out though...

·
Registered
25 Posts
it seems to me that a clutch needs a break in period. could the flat part of the clutch plate not be truely flat yet and not match up
smoothly when engaging....causing the "shudder".

sounds like its broken in fine now.....just my "spin" so to speak

dave

sapphire330cic- on order

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sapphire330cic said:
it seems to me that a clutch needs a break in period. could the flat part of the clutch plate not be truely flat yet and not match up
smoothly when engaging....causing the "shudder".

sounds like its broken in fine now.....just my "spin" so to speak

dave

sapphire330cic- on order
I forgot to mention - I have 15K miles on my car! But I think you may be right. Must've "flattened" the clutch when I redlined it?? Seems crazy that one would need to do some hard launches or redline occasionally to keep the clutch working correctly! :yikes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts