BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to preserve data from the vehicles "black box?" Have a neighbor claiming I was flying through the neighborhood and I would like to be able to disprove it. I haven't moved the car since she made the claim and the supposed incident was within 30 seconds of parking in my garage and turning off the vehicle. BTW, she made the claim several hours later.... My garage is quite tight, so it is impossible that I was at any great speed before waiting for the door to open and squeeze in with my bird's eye view cameras...I knew I should have installed a dash cam....LOL

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,719 Posts
E70 are built in the US. The UN-ECE has not finalized its vehicle Event Data Recorder regulations. The US NHTSA issued its 200+ page rule 49 CFR Part 563 that has been delayed several times.

Vehicles that do have EDR are often incorporated in the airbag control module since it is already measuring many of the parameters that will be required of EDR. NHTSA also required EDR data to be publicly available.

We know how open BMW is with their intellectual property.

BOSCH builds the CDR Tool kit of hardware and software to recover collision data.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,041 Posts
You don’t even need “black box” data. Your DME will have information about your drive and park cycles as part of energy diagnosis test plan.
separately a “black box” doesn’t exist but information and location is kept and stored through a cooperation of several control units. BMW decided that if many modules share the responsibility then removal/deletion of this data is many times more difficult.

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
She's just jealous you have a BMW and she doesn't. Unless she's a cop, tell her to "GFY."

For years I had some old hag neighbor call the cops every time I parked my car on the street while I cut my grass. There was no city ordinance prohibiting parking there, but "Karen" called the cops anyway. They'd come, see it was me again, and apologize for bothering me.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts
Welp, just for S&Gs....

But dont think the EDR will capture data if there was no crash activation. Not sure on this, I think it will store data continually in a short term memory but like writes over/erases/doesnt save if there isnt a crash event.

BUT.... I can do it remotely. What speed do you need? I can cobble together a tab delimted text file to tell whatever story you need....

;)

But seriously, F that B.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For $5, I'll draw up something in photoshop for you that looks official AF, and I'll certify you going however slow and safe as you wish. But seriously though, IF I was to pull your EDR data, and print you a report that showed you were driving 25 MPH at such and such time (EDR doesn't work that way but this is hypothetical), what exactly would you be able to do with that print out??? And what do you expect the neighbor's response to be - a sudden change of heart, spirit and demeanor??

Sorry if I'm sounding rude or mean, but it's my way of saying you gotta let it go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a way to preserve data from the vehicles "black box?" Have a neighbor claiming I was flying through the neighborhood and I would like to be able to disprove it. I haven't moved the car since she made the claim and the supposed incident was within 30 seconds of parking in my garage and turning off the vehicle. BTW, she made the claim several hours later.... My garage is quite tight, so it is impossible that I was at any great speed before waiting for the door to open and squeeze in with my bird's eye view cameras...I knew I should have installed a dash cam....LOL
Tell Karen to prove you were "flying" Better yet tell Karen to GTH & mind her business

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unless she has kids, you live in an HOA and they have a radar gun to loan her, you have nada to worry about.
She won't even believe your cameras.
Go and drive your BMW and enjoy.
But if you are speeding just to harass her, may the Orks have mercy on your soul and BMW.

Some HOAs and municipalities now have hidden laser speed cameras.
Some also have rules and ordinances against gas powered lawn power tools.
World is full of Karens

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,041 Posts
A radar gun is used in my favorite example of general relativity. Maybe the same scenario can be used here…
How fast you were going is dependent on who’s perspective your inquiring 😁

·
Registered
11 Posts
ATL thinks he's got Karen problems
Wait until your 750 tuned horses are running wild out of the barn on full boost and you just go thru Mach 2 and out of the corner of your eye with the real tuned exhaust making real noise not some of that canned audio garbage, there' a Karen State Patrol with her camera taking general relativite electromagnetic pictures of your butt rocket headed into orbit. She fires up Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Redeye widebody and lets the 700++ ponys roar. She radios ahead at Warp 9 to the rest of the herd of BMW busters. Even Quantum Electronics Clocking generator in the trunk is no savior.
Life in the OK Corral is not so good sometimes.
At least your Karen, ATL, doesn't require cash bail or night in the pokie.

·
Daniel T
2017 BMW 5er 2.0d
235 Posts
Hearing this stuff really annoys me, stupid neighbours. My neighbours hate me because all my friends have loud cars hahaha.

Sometimes people don't understand the perspective of speed vs sound, example: I have a G30 diesel stock and they are not loud unless you leave it in first gear with engine REVVVINNG!! the look on peoples faces in my neighbourhood is just incredible, someone telling me to SLOW DOWN you 1D10T (I opened the windows and said I'm only doing 30km/h 1D10T.

edit: sorry for the off topic

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some also have rules and ordinances against gas powered lawn power tools.
That's something I fully support. Especially the idea of blowing leaves with a gas engine away from your property so it becomes somebody else's problem is the stupidest thing in modern American suburban culture

Sorry for the off-topic.

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
That's something I fully support. Especially the idea of blowing leaves with a gas engine away from your property so it becomes somebody else's problem is the stupidest thing in modern American suburban culture

Sorry for the off-topic.
Let me guess... you live in an apartment.

It's not just American culture. The best gasoline powered implements of destruction are designed in Germany and Japan.

The gasoline powered implements of destruction made huge efficiency gains in landscaping, the blower probably being the biggest one. I don't bag my grass clippings... they're great fertilizer... they have all the nutrients in them that grass needs. I just blow them back into the grass, along with the dirt left on the sidewalk from edging.

I track the operating hours for all my gasoline equipment (carrying a stopwatch around my neck when doing yard work). I've had my blower eight years and it only has 26 hours on it. But, it's saved me literally hundreds of hours of sweeping. For anything other than mowers, I buy commercial-grade stuff that lasts. My Honda string trimmer's 21 years old, but only has 61 hours on it. It needs a new carburetor about every ten years. The one last year was hard to find. So, I might have to buy a new trimmer in 2030. The trick to making gasoline powered implements of destruction last is to buy commercial grade ones, and use fresh non-ethanol gas and synthetic oil.

Non-ethanol gas is easy to find in Bubbaville Beach, since people use it in their boats. Back when the non-ethanol pump was over in the corner of the gas station's lot and didn't have a credit card reader, I'd have to pay cash first before pumping. I'd ask for $2 of non-ethanol. The clerk would look at me puzzled, since most non-ethanol customers were buying 100 gallons at a time. I'd tell him that I had a really small boat.

We're eventually moving from Floriduh to Tennessee, where leaves fall off of trees in the fall. The county comes around with a vacuum truck. The homeowners just have to blow the leaves into the street and into a pile. My future neighbor up there has a Stihl blower so big that the motor is carried on his back. I currently have Stihl's largest hand-held blower. But, with the new lot (0.65 acres vs. our current 0.25 acres), I'm going for the BR-800 CE MAGNUM...

Most Powerful Backpack Blower | STIHL USA

... sort of the M5 of leaf blowers. More power!! Arrr-arrr-arrr- arrr.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Let me guess... you live in an apartment.
No, I live in a house with an acre of yard. But it’s 2021 and everything you do with a gasoline powered engine I can do better with an electric one. Even BMW is recognizing that. Really, batteries are the only limitation, but if you have some long extension cords, you can save money, save the environment, and save yourself from being hated by the neighbor that just wants to put his newborn down to sleep (me).

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,719 Posts
I hate gasoline engines and particularly stinking two-strokes. All are gone from my curtilage except a long-shaft 10 Hp outboard for sale for $4,000 (the sailboat is finally gone!). I have now hand tools an an electric weed whacker, electric leafblower-car dryer and small battery powered hand tools.

Once I am again fit for hard work I will take up my scythe, probably the most serene work exercise there is.

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
No, I live in a house with an acre of yard. But it’s 2021 and everything you do with a gasoline powered engine I can do better with an electric one. Even BMW is recognizing that. Really, batteries are the only limitation, but if you have some long extension cords, you can save money, save the environment, and save yourself from being hated by the neighbor that just wants to put his newborn down to sleep (me).
I used 4.5 gallons of gasoline in my yard equipment in 2020, costing less that $20. Emissions of gasoline powered equipment is now regulated. My only two-stroke is my blower, and it doesn't put out any visible smoke. I'm not going to spend $1500 replacing my commercial-grade gasoline powered implements of destruction with some consumer-grade electric stuff to save $20 of gasoline each year.

My neighbor just bought a Ryobi electric mower. He has a corner lot, but no grass in the backyard (all patio, pool, and shrubs). His mower can't finish the front and side yards on one charge. He's too cheap to buy a second battery pack, so his yard has a "Mohawk" for a day after he makes the first cut. His yard has a steep grade. His two or three gasoline mowers he's had in the 18 years I've lived here might have died due to oil starvation on that steep grade. Or, he was too stupid to use synthetic oil and change it every year or two, or use fresh non-ethanol gas.

Plant Sky Building House Tree

Have you ever seen a commercial landscaping crew using battery powered equipment? Me, neither.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm guessing there is more to this story. Why haven't you driven the car since, that sounds weird? Did your neighbor's dog or cat get hit? Did her kids almost get run over? Did you sideswipe something of hers and that's why your car is staying behind a closed garage door? I don't know you obviously but you're not telling the truth here about something.

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
I lived in an apartment complex in Virginia. Kids were throwing balls around the cars in the parking lot, denting them. I complained to the manager. She said "Kids are kids, Cars get dented, That's why you have insurance."

A few days later she was walking across the parking lot as I was leaving the mailboxes. I decided to do a burn-out. She chased me to parking space in the next parking lot and told me that I needed to slow down because kids are playing around there. I told her "Cars are cars. Kids get run over. That's why I have insurance...*."

I lit up the owners of the complex, and they actually fired her shortly afterwards. She'd also run off a particularly good maintenance man we had. He quit and told the owners that he wasn't going to work for her anymore. It turned out she'd been moved there from another of the owners' complexes to "have a fresh start," but that didn't work out.

The previous maintenance man was pretty good, too. But, they fired him... for killing the previous manager with his claw hammer. Really.

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I lived in Louisiana, one of my neighbors said she saw me flying down the entrance street to our subdivision. She said she called the local police, and complained about the lack of speed enforcement on our streets. At one of the cross streets, there is a house with large shrubs, and two palm trees in a corner garden. At the time I owned a 97 BMW 328IC, and drove it with the top down most days when coming home from work. There he was a motorcycle cop, with non other my complaining neighbor, writing a ticket. I had good chuckle, and drove on. I tooled around until the neighbor pulled into her driveway. She was screaming mad, holding up her fresh speeding ticket. Her ticket was for going 9 mph over the limit. I helped her out and told her if the ticket was for 10 mph over the limit she would get a 30 day suspension. As of today, I found that subdivision now has 3 speed cameras installed. So, what goes around, comes around. I now drive a 2009 Z4, in New Hampshire. The police here is fully funded by tax money, no need for the locals to have speed traps, and camera traps on every corner. My Z is like a snake on these windy twisting two lane roads, and a joy to drive. My new neighbors love the car. One says it looks like it's going 100 mph, parked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tell your neighbor to phuck off...............

1 - 20 of 24 Posts