BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 07 X3 about a month ago - metallic black ***8211; and I had a question about the finish. To me it seems there are lots of very little swirl scratches in the paint ***8211; very tough to see unless you***8217;re looking at them ***8211; and they***8217;re all over the car. Is that how it is for all metallic black BMWs? I used to own a 330i in sliver ***8211; and I always thought the paint looked absolutely perfect! So my question is ***8211; is this just me whining, or is there something really wrong with my finish ***8211;

Thanks in advance for anyone who attest to a difference.

Oops! Can't spell metallic!

·
Registered
363 Posts
What you describe is very typical of all black cars and has nothing to do with the metallic.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Welcome to the horror that is black.

BTDT. Never again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to the horror that is black.

BTDT. Never again.
It's actually caused by the circular motion while washing it. A dirty car is covered in dust and dirt if you dont use clean water and a soft clean wash mitt, the dirt may act as an abrasive. Since these marks are usually superficial, a good buff with the right compounds (and perhaps an electric buffer) should get rid of those nasty swirl marks.

There's a great car detailing forum on www.audizine.com where a company that specializes in detailing products might be able to offer some good (free) advice. :thumbup:

Link - http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73

·
Registered
264 Posts
I bought a new 07 X3 about a month ago - metallic black - and I had a question about the finish. To me it seems there are lots of very little swirl scratches in the paint - very tough to see unless you're looking at them - and they're all over the car. Is that how it is for all metallic black BMWs? I used to own a 330i in sliver - and I always thought the paint looked absolutely perfect! So my question is - is this just me whining, or is there something really wrong with my finish -

Thanks in advance for anyone who attest to a difference.

Oops! Can't spell metallic!
Hi Louden,

there is first a good detailing forum on the fest. Also, I ahd a similar problem on my Mystic Blue car and found the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to be THE product against swirls. You can get it from carcareonline.com or have your local NAPA order it for you. In one application it will buff the swirls and fill in minor scratches...great stuff!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
In addition to what all the others said, you went from the easiest color to keep clean to the hardest (like me). No car looks better than a clean black one, but very tough to keep clean and swirl free. Check out Zaino- best product you can buy. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts