BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Black Whels - suggestion on brake calipers

2756 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  2ndname
Just purchased black wheels (Beyern Bavaria rotary forged) Will install next week. Curious about the silver colored brake calipers. Leave them original or paint black. I'm sure tire shop that does the install won't paint.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Guess I should clarify.... Not only the calipers but the silver disc behind the wheel also.
Ummm....I think the silver disk you are referring to is the rotor. You can't paint it. Well, I suppose you could, but the brakes would remove the paint rather promptly, and in all likelyhood leave a real mess of your brake pads/calipers.

I've noticed my calipers actually accumulate a bit of rust in the amount of time it takes me to wash/dry/detail the car. One stop of the moving vehicle and they are shiny again.
Guess I should clarify.... Not only the calipers but the silver disc behind the wheel also.
What color is your car? And yes, painting your rotors would be a complete waste of time. If you paint your calipers, make sure you use the high heat paint. You can get it in auto supply stores. I have a blue car....painted my calipers blue when I painted my rims black.
He means the center of the rotor where the wheel mounts up. I bought my car with 6200 miles on it from dealer. It was a service loaner from Pennsylvania. The rotor centers were fairly rusty from i'm guessing road salt. I used "rust eater" and then washed it off, used blow dryer to evaporate the water, then painted with brush using silver rustoleum. It looked 100% better without the rust and looked like fresh cast iron after painting. The sales guy suggested it. He had done the same to his 335i.
Ah, yes - the hubs do get rather nasty over time. But I wouldn't have called it a "silver disk" behind the calipers.

Black, or silver. Or pink. Use high-temp paint.
He means the center of the rotor where the wheel mounts up. I bought my car with 6200 miles on it from dealer. It was a service loaner from Pennsylvania. The rotor centers were fairly rusty from i'm guessing road salt. I used "rust eater" and then washed it off, used blow dryer to evaporate the water, then painted with brush using silver rustoleum. It looked 100% better without the rust and looked like fresh cast iron after painting. The sales guy suggested it. He had done the same to his 335i.
Paint the hubs black IMHO.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.