BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to black out the chrome trim around my windows and the moldings all around the car. Does anyone know how I can do that and give me some places where i can buy the things i need thanks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
do a search, theres plenty of people here who have done the same thing (its a fairly simple job form what i recall)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I want to black out the chrome trim around my windows and the moldings all around the car. Does anyone know how I can do that and give me some places where i can buy the things i need thanks.
Just read this.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/JF-Tech/Blacking_out_chrome_trim_E30_3Series.htm

Sand really good and use a couple of coats. I lose some paint after every wash....I may either take it off later and spend some time working with it or just replace with black ones.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you do that to the side moldings on your car too?

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
Window trim.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the best way to do it is to sand and use house of color adherto adhesive promotor and the basecoat and clear coat the will last forever. I presure wah my car and none of the paint has chipped or peel.

Attachments

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
the best way to do it is to sand and use house of color adherto adhesive promotor and the basecoat and clear coat the will last forever. I presure wah my car and none of the paint has chipped or peel.
yes this is the best way, and it can be done in a semi gloss tone, with base and clear. but this very costly. especially using house of color.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The way we're going to handle this on my car is to use some acid etching primer, then paint with black trim paint.

My wrench has done all of his recent BMWs with this process and it looks fantastic. I've never noticed any fading, chipping or peeling on any of his cars, and they get washed very frequently.

Just another suggestion. Will let you guys know how my car turns out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have a 97 528i in oxford green withthe stock chrome window trim. I'm debating wether or not to black them out using trimbrite.
Can I get some opinions on if you think it would look good blacked out or should I leave it chrome. PS I have gun metal grey 5 spoke rims

·
A Purist's Nightmare LOL
670 Posts
The best way to do it for me was gloss black powdercoating.... :eek:) Will post pics when I get it back together.

There is a local company that is very inexpensive. I did all my chrome trim and the door pillars for $125.00 (14 pieces total)

·
Registered
954 Posts
i grabbed some black eletrical tape and went down in the garage to tinker with it on my green 528.... with some patients and a steady hand it came out great!!

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
The best way to do it for me was gloss black powdercoating.... :eek:) Will post pics when I get it back together.

There is a local company that is very inexpensive. I did all my chrome trim and the door pillars for $125.00 (14 pieces total)
think it would be the same price if it were painted glossy black?

·
A Purist's Nightmare LOL
670 Posts
think it would be the same price if it were painted glossy black?
Not sure.... but powdercoating supposed to last longer...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts