BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last 3 oil changes have been Penzoil Platinum 5W-30 which is NOT A3 rated. I've been trying to make a case that A3 rated oils for a daily driver that gets the oil changed at frequent intervals is not necessary. Here is the first Blackstone report. You decide.....

It is a 530 not a 525

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
I would tend to agree with you, most any 5w-30 or 0w-30 synthetic is probably fine if oil change intervals are 7500 miles or less. I believe (but admittedly am not an expert) that much of BMW's oil requirements are needed for the un-godly long 15,000 mile oil change intervals.

Though my preference is to use Castrol European Formula 0w-30 synthetic which meets BMW specs, I doubt that using any other synthetic would hurt anything at 7500 mile oil change intervals.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would tend to agree with you, most any 5w-30 or 0w-30 synthetic is probably fine if oil change intervals are 7500 miles or less. I believe (but admittedly am not an expert) that much of BMW's oil requirements are needed for the un-godly long 15,000 mile oil change intervals.

Though my preference is to use Castrol European Formula 0w-30 synthetic which meets BMW specs, I doubt that using any other synthetic would hurt anything at 7500 mile oil change intervals.
I would love to use Mobil 1 5W-30 Full-Synthetic oil. Its Corvette rated, but not BMW rated. I would like that oil so I can use it in my Bimmer and Vette. I can buy it in large 5 Gallons and save a lil.

My only fear is - that its NOT BMW rated........... would that hurt the engine?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Doubtful. Don't take my word for it, but if its within the same tolerances as the oil you would use normally (Spec/Makeup/Slickness) I don't think it would much matter. Some people have issues with burning oils that's not rated for the car, but I think you'd be fine.

But, don't quote me on it.

Edit - Which 'Vette we talkin' about?

The newer SC'ed Z06's? If that's the case, I think it should be fine.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
:lol:

Oh, **** it, if it's brown and greasy jam it in. I'm using bacon fat next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts