BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Z4 M Coupe
157 Posts
Thanks for posting, this is good to know, it gives me an idea as to how long break in should take and that the piston ring need to be broken in

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ron,

Very interesting and informative. Was this a favor performed by a lab for you or was this something that you specifically asked for in testing?

I'm assuming there was a nominal fee????

I went over 400 miles today; a couple of friends came by for quick rides in the new coupe. I can't wait to get to 1200. :drive:

conorb

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
conorb said:
Ron,

Very interesting and informative. Was this a favor performed by a lab for you or was this something that you specifically asked for in testing?

I'm assuming there was a nominal fee????

I went over 400 miles today; a couple of friends came by for quick rides in the new coupe. I can't wait to get to 1200. :drive:

conorb
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

It's $20 plus your shipping for the basic analysis.
I send it priority mail with tracking so it's $20 plus $4.55.
I started doing this on my '01 S54 because of the blow up issue.
Some have got replaced engines based on the analysis.

So on the '06 S54 I decided to start from the begining.
I think that their numbers are based on 4500 miles so I've been changing my oil every 4500 after the 1200.
For my annual mileage it is 1.8 oil changes per year.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

It's $20 plus your shipping for the basic analysis.
I send it priority mail with tracking so it's $20 plus $4.55.
I started doing this on my '01 S54 because of the blow up issue.
Some have got replaced engines based on the analysis.

So on the '06 S54 I decided to start from the begining.
I think that their numbers are based on 4500 miles so I've been changing my oil every 4500 after the 1200.
For my annual mileage it is 1.8 oil changes per year.
Their numbers are based on an average of whatever they get from customers. For the S54, that average was 4,570 miles as of November 1, 2005. I sort of wish they'd report the median and not just the average. One outlier completely skews average calculations.

·
Back in the fold
126 Posts
*No* full throttle for 1200?

Who can possibly do that? :wow: Not me. I can see gentle launches and short shifting, but NO full throttle for an entire 1200, fogettaboutit! :bs: Breaking in my E60 M5 was agonizing, and if it also said no full throttle, I didn't adhere at all to that recommendation. I did however, avoid any full throttle launches for the full 1200, and always short shifted at the recommended rpm. OH well, each to their own wrt breakin.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good report Ron, its interesting to watch and track different materials coming through the motor during break-in.
Goodwood said:
Who can possibly do that? :wow: Not me. I can see gentle launches and short shifting, but NO full throttle for an entire 1200, fogettaboutit! :bs: Breaking in my E60 M5 was agonizing, and if it also said no full throttle, I didn't adhere at all to that recommendation. I did however, avoid any full throttle launches for the full 1200, and always short shifted at the recommended rpm. OH well, each to their own wrt breakin.
There are good and knowledgable people (and engine builders) with differing advantages/drawbacks who disagree on how to break in a motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally got around to sending in a sample from my break-in service. I thought it might be interesting for comparison to Ron's report. I was pretty gentle during the first 1200, but I definitely opened the throttle on at least a couple of occassions :eeps:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Humm, I wonder why the fuel is there?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Because Ron didn***8217;t rap the RPM up to 7.5k on a hard WOT pull in 3rd or 4th gear and then slam the throttle closed 3 or 4 times the first 30 miles of life. So the rings are still seating.
Of course if Ron had broken in the motor that way he would created major issues in the tranny and rear end. The rings will seat, it just takes some time when you have other components to be concerned with. Viva La s54.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't speak for the first 12 or so miles, but I never broke the 5500 RPM limit in the first 1200. I did run full throttle, or nearly full a few times at highway speeds, but that probably wouldn't do much. I guess we'll see at 4200 miles whether or not the fuel is a result of the rings seating.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks for the update Ron.
I've been sampling my cars for a while now & will def include the Z.

Just a couple of questions....
- On your first oil change, was the sample taken by the dealer during the first service?
- I notice you listed 10w/60 on your first interval....
isn't the break in oil 5w30? .....that's what I was told at the service dept. (not that they're always right).

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just a couple of questions....
- On your first oil change, was the sample taken by the dealer during the first service?
- I notice you listed 10w/60 on your first interval....
isn't the break in oil 5w30? .....that's what I was told at the service dept. (not that they're always right).
I do all of my own work in my garage when I can.

At the time, I suspected a break-in oil based on the color being different.
We now know that Castrol changed the color.
Asked Blackstone to check and they came up with 10w/60. Another internet truth bites the dust.

In the operating fluids data group 11 it says:
BMW engines do not require special break-in oils.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Report #1 at 5288

I didn't do an oil analysis at the 1200 mile fluid change so this analysis is the first with 3820 miles on the Castrol TWS 10W-60 oil.
View attachment Blackstone Oil Report S54 March 2008.pdf
Since completion of break-in the car has seen five HPDS events at moderate speeds (street tires and brake pads)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts