BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 m roadster.I have to mash the clutch pedal down into the carpet to shift into 1st or reverse gear.I am a novice attempting to bleed the clutch. I had my son push down on the clutch pedal while I opened the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder...Now every time I want the clutch pedal to come up I have to pull it up with my hand!What did I do? How can I try to fix it before I call a tow truck? thanks, Arnoldo

· Registered
6 Posts
You did not bleed the clutch correctly. The best way to bleed the clutch is replace the stock bleeder valve with a speed bleeder valve (one-way check valve). Instead of having someone step on the clutch pedal, borrow a vacuum pump and suck the fluid out from the bleeder valve. Good luck.

· Registered
218 Posts
Master cylinder bleeding is a science. Some say to keep it simple and let gravity do the work. The BMW mechanics reverse bleed. The put fluid pressure at the slave and push to the master. I have a SnapOn pressure bleeder which mounts on the master and seals it while providing fluid pressure to all lines. then pop open the furthest wheel first and work to the nearest slave. The clutch might be different because the master is so tiny compared to the brake master. But all this could be irrelevant due to the fact most clutch masters are not bleedable and once gear engagement is a problem it is time to replace the slave. I am not familiar with the BMW setup.

· Registered
39 Posts
If you are bleeding the clutch, you need to keep pumping the clutch until you get some pressure in the line. Then you need to hold the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and crack the valve open until all the air/fluid with air comes out. Once the fluid stops flowing tighten the valve. The pedal will probably stay on the floor, don't worry about it just use your hand to pull it back into regular position. Repeat this process until you are satisfied with the feel of the clutch. After every 2 times you open the valve, check the fluid level and make sure that it does not run low because air will get back into the system. Make sure you keep the top closed when pumping so you can create pressure in the line. Good luck it's easier than it sounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.