BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
There is no bleed screw. There is a procedure for bleeding. I cant remember it exactly but it involves stomping the gas pedal to the floor (engine NOT running) and holding it there for a certain amount of time in order to trigger the electric coolant pump to go into a air bleed cycle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, the procedure you mentioned is detailed in the link. It involves turning the ignition on, turning on the heater with the blower low and pressing the gas pedal to the floor for 10 sec.

It also says to open the bleeder screw which is why I was inquiring.

Thanks again

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would like to bleed my system as well, not very clear about 2 things:

1. Shall I press the gas pedal all the way till I press the Kick-down? or before the Kick-down button?
2. Shall I keep the expansion tank cap closed all the time and open it at the end? or unscrew it a bit and let it vent out the air during the bleeding process from start to finish?

Thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
A note about the bleed: when you turn the heater temperature all the way to maximum temp (highest setting), the water pump will automatically engage at a constant, high speed and will stay like that even after the bleed procedure is over as long as temp is set to max heat. So do not confuse that with the pump performing a bleed. When the pump is conducting the bleed procedure, the speed will cycle high and low (high pitch and low pitch whines). I would wait a full 15 minutes after engaging the bleed procedure before turning the heat back down and turning off the ignition. Also note that because the instructions say to fill the resevoir upto the lower edge of filler neck, you may end up with a fluid level above max. Be prepared to siphon out any excess fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.