BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Blocked starter

5344 Views 7 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  God-Follower
I have been working on a flooded BMW i8 for several months now. I had to order a new BDC (from factory) and replace several other modules. The DME, EME and SME are originals. The car came with I001-15-07-501. Everything is programed and coded using ISTA-P with I001-17-07-500.
The car refuses to start the gas engine and gives me 21DE21 error:

21DE21 Electronic immobiliser: Generation of torque in the high-voltage starter motor generator blocked

There is no error code in DME, EME, SME, TFE, BDC, EGS and ACSM now. The REME shows as yellow in ISTA-D because of 21DE21 error but doesn't have any other issue. I kept thinking some other problem causes this but there no more error left! Everything in the car functions now and it runs and drives fine in electric mode and there is no check engine light! I also ran "reset starter block" function in ISTA-D which ran successfully but it didn't fix the problem.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
If you are using ISTA/D(not Rheingold) yellow means no communication with that control module. In Rheingold yellow indicates a fault is stored. As the REME controls the SMG(starter motor generator) on the i8 the gas engine cannot start without it.

Did you calculate test plans to see what ABL popped up for that fault? I dug around a bit manually looking for an EWS alignment test plan and didn't see one, but sometimes they hide test plans in the darndest spots.

Also, once you installed it did you mark the BDC as being replaced in ISTA/P? Once you do that it should perform the EWS immobilizer alignment for you. If you just let it program it as a standalone procedure then it may not have performed the alignment. I assume it was aligned properly since the car drives in electric mode, but wanted to verify.

Looking at that fault in ISTA/D it looks like either the EME or DME is not releasing the REME to start the gas engine. If there is no applicable test plan in ISTA/D I would start a new ISTA/P session and mark the DME, EME, BDC and REME as being replaced to try and force an EWS alignment.

I have been working on a flooded BMW i8 for several months now. I had to order a new BDC (from factory) and replace several other modules. The DME, EME and SME are originals. The car came with I001-15-07-501. Everything is programed and coded using ISTA-P with I001-17-07-500.
The car refuses to start the gas engine and gives me 21DE21 error:

21DE21 Electronic immobiliser: Generation of torque in the high-voltage starter motor generator blocked

There is no error code in DME, EME, SME, TFE, BDC, EGS and ACSM now. The REME shows as yellow in ISTA-D because of 21DE21 error but doesn't have any other issue. I kept thinking some other problem causes this but there no more error left! Everything in the car functions now and it runs and drives fine in electric mode and there is no check engine light! I also ran "reset starter block" function in ISTA-D which ran successfully but it didn't fix the problem.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks
The diagnosis monitor the signal from the electronic immobiliser.

The fault is entered if the torque generation is blocked by the electronic immobiliser.

Secondary faults: Check DME and EME fault memories for other entries relating to the electronic immobiliser and continue troubleshooting there.
Also, would you mind updating the thread here on how you finally got the BDC to program with ISTA/P? I am curious, and it may help others who face this in the future.

Thanks!
Thank you so much for the respond. I am using Rheingold. I looked again and couldn't find any ABL for this issue, so I marked DME EME2 BDC and REME as replaced in ISTA/P. Obviously I had to redo all the BDC calibrations (windows, ridehight etc.). It went fine but it didn't fix the problem.
Attached is output. I know how to fix the other two issues.
Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant no useful ABL. This is what I get.
You say you couldn't find any ABL for the issue; what did ISTA prompt was the correct test plan for the fault? Run your vehicle test> Display Fault Memory>Calculate Test Plan. It should provide you with a test plan for the faults stored in the vehicle.

Attachments

Rats, just the generic one.

Looks like you are using ISTA+, do you have programming enabled on it? You could try program/replacement in ISTA+ for the DME/BDC/REME, if it is newer your ISTA/P.

Outside of that, this is where we make a puma case at the dealer and one of the engineers in Jersey IRAPs in and fixes it with INPA/ESys. I'm not familiar with the EWS procedures in those programs, but there may be someone in the coding subforum who is. Want me to copy this thread over to there?

Sent from my PH-1 using Bimmerfest mobile app
I think I have programing available on my ISTA+ but It doesn't run when there is a fault.
My ISTA/P is 63.2.001.
I am familiar with E-sys but mostly for programming.
Please copy this to coding if you can.

Thanks
Rats, just the generic one.

Looks like you are using ISTA+, do you have programming enabled on it? You could try program/replacement in ISTA+ for the DME/BDC/REME, if it is newer your ISTA/P.

Outside of that, this is where we make a puma case at the dealer and one of the engineers in Jersey IRAPs in and fixes it with INPA/ESys. I'm not familiar with the EWS procedures in those programs, but there may be someone in the coding subforum who is. Want me to copy this thread over to there?

Here are more information about the issue:

EME and DME are not replaced.
BDC and REME are replaced.
BDC was replaced first and it came from the factory with a VIN#.
REME came from another car.
I did several re-flashing which didn't fixed the problem. I decided to upgrade to a new version, so I reflashed the car from I01-17-7-500 to I01-17-11-520 with ISTA/P. Everything upgraded without any issue but the problem stayed. I decided to run another flash with E-sys and got this warning on TAL calculate for REME.
'[] Warning 1680, no application data list available for ECUId:REME_0x0A, (Exception: error while reading list entry at index 0)' [C382]
Is this pointing to the source of my issue? I didn't get any error when I programed REME with ISTA/P.

Thanks
Let's continue here( http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276122 ) since ESys errors are better focused there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.