Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't look bad to me. Has your CCV ever been serviced/changed out? What is your oil usage and do you have any external oil leeks on the engine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well it does use a little bit of oil, but not much. (maybe 1L every 3000-4000 km)
The CCV has never been serviced.. but there is a fairly amount of oil in the intake system.
The engine does not have any oil leaks, for what i know of.

I just noticed that the smoke/blowby stops at higher RPM.

I have uploaded a better video where you can see the blowby a little better.
https://youtu.be/uLYqs7OOh-Q
youtu.be/uLYqs7OOh-Q

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it possible that the "blowby" i am feeling, is coming from the vacuum pump? (i mean the pump is mounted to the camshaft, right beside the oil filler hole)
But if that is true, where is the smoke coming from?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CCV system, with all of its pipeing is typically replaced around 170k kilometers or 100k miles, or so, as a service item. Sitting at 350k kilometers or 210 k miles, I'm surprised it is functioning at all. The CCV at idle, should place a slight vacuum on the system. I believe this is where your problem exists as your oil consumption would be higher if appreciable blowby exists. Sounds like you still have a very strong m57 that will continue to serve you well. My recommendation is change out the CCV system and enjoy your 525dt, with reduced oil consumption.

·
Under the lift arms
12,898 Posts
looks like a lot of positive crank case pressure to me

in its perfect state it should be neutral no?

run some engine cleaners... bmw engines are bullet proof when it comes to cleaning

Im sure there diesels are even more panzer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts