BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 F10, 550
I pulled the blower and put a fresh screen on it after removing leaves. When I tried to start it the motor just keeps cranking until I take my foot off the brake. I also get the drivetrain malfunction error.
I took it back apart and paid special attention that I connected all the wires. Power source to the unit on top of the box, O2 sensor looking thing, power line to the blower and another push on connector kind of below the power cable that goes into the top box.

I foolishly did not disconnect the battery before I started. My golf clubs were in there and it was going to be a hassle. Is this karma teaching me a lesson?

I checked a fuel pump fuse #75 and it was fine. I have gone through the forum and found similar situations but no answers.

I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Other than taking it apart again and looking for a loose wire I don't really know what to check. I feel like I must have shorted something and need a fuse or a code cleared.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. I disconnected the battery last night to allow it to reset. I have not tried it yet this morning.

When it was trying to start it showed "Drivetrain Malfunction". But that message did not stay on. When I check vehicle status it shows no flags. I do not have a code reader.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I disconnected the battery overnight hoping it would reset. Unfortunately not. Read online to disconnect the battery cables and touch them to each other. Tried that as well. no improvement.

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You may have blown the fuse in the IVM. Check this link:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can you post a picture of that electrical area on top of the blower? I have a 2013 as well and knocked the fuel pump relay loose…

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just did the same thing tonight but luckily did not have the same issue. My guess for you is when you remove that top platform with all the connectors, you must have knocked something loose. The prior response about a fuel pump fuse or loose wire sounds promising.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery before replacing blower motor? If you didn't , you have a blown fuse.
There is exposed positive connection in that area. It is inevitable to have it shorted unless you disconnect the battery before doing the replacement.
There's a video somewhere on YouTube that talks about it. When I did my blower motor housing replacement, I disconnected the battery and everything was ok afterwards but did see why they warned me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The video I saw instructed you to remove the short aluminum brace bar which removes the only grounding source that you might come into contact with in flopping over that platform of wiring. I did not disconnect my battery. I guess I lucked out in watching a good video.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts