BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: Has anyone actually done a blower motor replacement?
Mine quit working, and a friend had one that was/is new.
I decided I would replace it before trying the FSU. I looked at my Bentley manual. Looks like a fairly simple procedure. Looks can be deceiving. First of all after you have taken of everything, the Bentley said to simply lift the motor out (pffft!). It does not take a rocket scientist to see the size of the turbines on each end and compare that to the size of the space you have to move them through. It just does not fit. Any way I checked the new motor and turbines. The turbines on the new motor bolt on (read they can be taken off). So next step, I try to force the old motor and turbines (that are not removable) out through a space that is to small. The turbines are, of course BMW plastic. Plastic breaks, so I say, "What the heck" and yank it out. The turbines do indeed break into several pieces, of which I recover all most all of. I then remove the turbines from the new motor and place the motor in its tiny little cubby hole. You then have enough room to bolt the turbines back on to the motor shafts. Then everything goes back in fairly easily. HERE'S the kicker, I'll be replacing the FSU next week as soon as gets here:):tsk:

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
I replaced the blower motor on my old E36. It was a total PITA. If the cages on the original blower assembly are permanently attached to the motor shafts, then yes, you're expected to cut the cages off of the shafts and remove the assembly in three (or more) pieces. The new assembly goes together inside the blower housing.

I think the real problem was the car's second final stage unit, which failed in a fairly short time. On the positive side, I learned that it's possible to do some diagnosis at the plug for the final stage unit. With a multimeter, you can check for the variable control voltage coming from the control panel, and you can also find out if 12 volts are coming from the blower relay. It may also be possible to jump a couple of pins on the plug to force the blower to run.

Like I said, these are things I learned on my E36, but I suspect the E46 is similar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i had a few e-46's in the shop the other day, both with blower issues. one would not shut off and the other had the opposite issue. sometimes there is an internal short. just replace the final stage, its kinda a pain to get to. just be careful not to damage the cooling pins when installing the new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts